Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two duplex receptacles and a single lamp T8 fixture at each station. How many circuits per station considering hair dryers, curling irons, etc.?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
We wired a hair salon YEARS ago and we took a 12-3 to every duplex receptacle, breaking the tab. It took a lot of breaker spaces.

I'll be curious to hear how others do it.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
The last small one I did with limited panel space got 1 20amp ckt each. If you have room, two would be better. Like the 12-3 idea.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have two duplex receptacles and a single lamp T8 fixture at each station. How many circuits per station considering hair dryers, curling irons, etc.?
Ask them - How many dryers & Curling irons ?
Find out there amp draw ?

Once you know this
then you can provide what is needed.

:whistling2:

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ask them - How many dryers & Curling irons ?
Find out there amp draw ?

Once you know this
then you can provide what is needed.

I can tell you haven't dealt with salon types before...

Besides that, panel space will dictate how creative I get. The rest of my loads are fairly light, thankfully.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My lady is a hair dresser. I asked her and it seems the big ticket items are the hair dryers, flat irons, as you guys already know and sometimes salons have air compressors at each station.

The hair dryers they all have are 2500w

And the flat iron 100w

Hope I could help.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My lady is a hair dresser. I asked her and it seems the big ticket items are the hair dryers, flat irons, as you guys already know and sometimes salons have air compressors at each station.

And the flat iron 100w

Hope I could help.
I assume you mean 1000W?

2500 seems high for the dryer, do you think?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I assume you mean 1000W?

2500 seems high for the dryer, do you think?

She bought the one she uses at the salon for home. She said 2500w, but I just looked at it, and it's 2000w.

I have no idea what the standard for hair dryers is. But they all use the same 2000w dryer at the salon.

I could take a picture if you want to make me get out of bed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
She bought the one she uses at the salon for home. She said 2500w, but I just looked at it, and it's 2000w.

I have no idea what the standard for hair dryers is. But they all use the same 2000w dryer at the salon.

I could take a picture if you want to make me get out of bed.
That's a hair over 80% on a 20amp 120v, and I would think that's a continuous load with the resistive heating being the major draw. Are those machines using 5-20 plugs? I think the standard hair dryer, or most "common" household appliances is 1500w, to be able to use the NEMA 5-15 that is the most common receptacle installed in residential land.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,293 Posts
That's a hair over 80% on a 20amp 120v, and I would think that's a continuous load with the resistive heating being the major draw. Are those machines using 5-20 plugs? I think the standard hair dryer, or most "common" household appliances is 1500w, to be able to use the NEMA 5-15 that is the most common receptacle installed in residential land.
Not a continuous load, not even close. The girls arms might feel like they used it for 3 straight hours though at the end of the day!:)

Pretty sure they don't have 20A cord caps (plugs) on them either.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts

And the flat iron 100w

Hope I could help.
Is this in the US? What type of plug do they have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
> hair dryers, flat irons, ...air compressors...

I think the thing is: can you use them all at ONCE?

How many BIG loads can they have? And how many "little" loads may be left-on while the big load is burning juice?

If the hair is full of hot-curlers, can you use the blow-dryer at the same time? I assume you won't leave the blower running (noise), but might the curlers or irons be set-down still ON? I would suspect they must be turned off or they would leave burn-marks, but maybe they have an asbestos pad?

There's also a hot-wax pot. I won't go near it, but a similar yet larger glue-pot is 200 Watts? This might get left on for hours if the day is full of hairy lips.

The crew-cut buzzers are around 100 Watts (the one for horses and my hairy dog run 140W).

No clue what the air-compresser does. Air-brush paint on nails? Spray highlights in hair? That's a few hundred Watts and would never be left running except when getting down to spray-work. Buff/fluff, turn-on (bzzzzzz), spray, turn-off.

I dunno what combination of power tools might be used at the SAME time. (I use the electric chain-saw twice a year whether I need a haircut or not.)

As remarked, "2500W" can't be correct for a 120V blower. 2,000 Watts (rounded up from 1920) seems the limit for appliances on "120V" 20A outlets. For residential (where 15A outlets must be expected), in this house, her blowdryer is marked "1600" and seems to be 1,600 Watts; his heat-gun is 1,500 Watts. (Both may be round-up label numbers, not true consumption.)

However I am sure that beauty professionals have G.A.S. and crave power as much as woodworkers and auto mechanics. If your 10" table-saw slows down just once, buy a 16" saw. I'm sure there are "More POWER!!" hair dryers, especially for professionals where a faster blow-job is quicker turnaround and more clients/day.

> How many circuits per station considering

When in doubt, consult NEC?

(NEC [3] table 220.12)
Barber shops and beauty parlors ---- 3 Volt-Amperes per Square Foot

Hmmm.... that's surely a lighting-only figure. A small booth gets 300 Watts? That's fair incandescent lighting but won't begin to blow hair.

Article 220.14(H) is also dubious. If loads not simultaneous, 360 Watts in a 10 foot strip. If simultaneous, 1,800 Watts in a 10 foot strip. Nearly there, but I bet some beauty techs can pull more than that with one hand.

> I would think that's a continuous load

(NEC [3] table 220.12) Continuous Load: A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for three hours or more.

I don't think you blow-dry for 3 hours straight-- the hair would be burned to the skull. My *guess* is that a long session takes 5 min to greet and agree on a plan, 5 min to wet hair, 15 min to cut, 15 min blow-and-brush work, 5 min clean-up, sell some balm, and take the cash. These numbers are probably wrong but the ratios may be near right. So 15 min out of 45 min, or 160 min out of 8 hours--- it isn't 3 hours all day, and certainly not 3 hours straight. (In this weather my furnace is "a continuous load", running 6 and 10 hours non-stop, though only at 5 Amps.)

In fact I am thinking Diversity and SubPanel. You say the main panel size may limit your aspirations. I doubt four stations would all blow at once. Three 16A blowers fits a 50A breaker. A #6 feeder from the main panel to a sub-panel in the booth area may be easier and maybe cheaper to run than sixteen #12. Less small wiring to do. When (not if) they pop a breaker, it will be handy to re-set. No, not good practice, but the annoyance (and community know-how) will encourage them to spread loads or not use certain combinations of loads, to avoid running-off to re-set.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Did one before i became licensed. Ran a 20 amp circuit to each station quad. There was some dedicated stuff too.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
The max real wattage a US hair dryer can pull is 1800 watts at 120 volts. Which is 15 amps. I have never seen a hair dryer with other than a NEMA 5-15 plug. Some are rated 1875 watts but that assumes a line voltage of 125 volts, so at 120 its more like 1750 watts.

If you want a real 2000 or 2500 watt hair dryer buy a Euro version and stick a nema 6-15 on it. Complementary 240 volt bathroom receptacle and women think your god :whistling2:

http://www.worldwidevoltage.com/alpina-sf5043-2200-watt-direct-220v-hair-dryer.html

http://www.portugalia.com/prod.php?id=633

·
Registered
342 Posts
I give them a 20amp four plex each station for their portable stuff. It works fine and they like it. Who has panel space for two circuits each station?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts