Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So helping a friend out with some electrical and his hallway 3-way switch is also tied into his living room 3 way. I am a new electrician so this would be my first time running into this problem but I didn't think you should/could tie two 3-way together. Looking for advice on maybe what to test or how this should be done. Below is a picture of the switch that is supposed to control both 3-way circuits.

*Please note I didn't do any wiring yet, I took off the cover and this is what I found*

Incase my images don't work properly

http://imgur.com/zSsGTmN
http://imgur.com/fYX6aHY

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
So helping a friend out with some electrical and his hallway 3-way switch is also tied into his living room 3 way. I am a new electrician so this would be my first time running into this problem but I didn't think you should/could tie two 3-way together. Looking for advice on maybe what to test or how this should be done. Below is a picture of the switch that is supposed to control both 3-way circuits.

*Please note I didn't do any wiring yet, I took off the cover and this is what I found*...........
Silly me, but I always install pairs of 3-ways tied to each other. That's the entire reason they exist.... to be tied to each other in pairs.

Looks like someone who doesn't understand how 3-ways work tried to install new switches, totally screwed it up, and now is asking a friend to bail him out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also looks to me like the power is accidentally on a traveller screw. the power is supposed to be on the black screw. If you are patient you could look up online the several ways 3ways can be wired. The whites need to be wire nutted together and not connected to the switch and then swap the blacks around so you have power on the common. might burn up the fixture though if that isn't correct wiring.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Id bet money the black and red in the 3 wire are the travelers. The white in the three wire may have been sending a switch leg to the other 3way switch, or it's a neutral. I'd bust it all out and put a meter on it to see what's what. No telling what's been swapped around.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts
Boot leg ground?

Who's the communist "s&/t" twinkle toed "male chicken" suker who sighed his own death warrant? Nobody huh,, the fairy "gosh darn" godmother did it. Out "friggin" standing, I will PT you all until you die. I'll PT you until your "out end" is sukin butter milk.

edit, please pass the pop corn.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.