Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARe you allowed to raise the inside plate above the factory setting screw if you are installing r30 bulbs? My boss says you can't and the inspector can fail you. I have been raising them for years at my last job. I mean raising the plate all the way up and securing it with a peanut screw and putting in r40 65 watt bulbs with no problem,even though that approach isn't right..

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnettica said:
Yeah, if you're altering the recessed light in any way it's a violation of 110.3.(B).
how about if you went over the factory setting..? Sliding it over the little bolt that does't let you slide up..? I wish I had a pic of it to explain better..

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,541 Posts
ARe you allowed to raise the inside plate above the factory setting screw if you are installing r30 bulbs? My boss says you can't and the inspector can fail you. I have been raising them for years at my last job. I mean raising the plate all the way up and securing it with a peanut screw and putting in r40 65 watt bulbs with no problem,even though that approach isn't right..
I always had the understanding that you could not raise the bracket. Why on earth would they put the stop there is raising it would be okay. You notice it is not there in non ic cans? I have nothing to substantiate what I said other than my take on it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Do you guys put the springs from the trims into the holes on that plate or in the slots on the side of the can?

Without moving the bracket past that tab, the trims won't be tight when securing to the plate and you won't be able to get at the top of the notches on the side of the can. You almost have to move the bracket past the tab.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.