Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these at a Trade Show yesterday...

I like the concept in that you can wire the whole thing with 18/2 LVT or whatever you need, not a new concept but a new product line. This reminds me of the discussion of POE lighting and who can install. Since this is all LV and essentially you can plug the driver in, I am guessing this opens up the argument that anyone can install these recessed lights now.

Thoughts?

Cheers
John

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
4,225 Posts

I like the concept in that you can wire the whole thing with 18/2 LVT or whatever you need, not a new concept but a new product line. This reminds me of the discussion of POE lighting and who can install. Since this is all LV and essentially you can plug the driver in, I am guessing this opens up the argument that anyone can install these recessed lights now.

Thoughts?

Cheers
John
DIY installing lights ....
just another good excuse for having AFCI and GFCI protection on every circuit in the house

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

Thoughts?

Cheers
John
Not if it's in your collective bargaining agreement.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
Nothing chaps my ass faster than a pop up window in a website I click a link for, demanding I accept their cookies and there is no x in the top right corner to hit to close the stupid gray out and let me read the stinking page. "IF" I get to read the stinking page then I "might" decide to allow your stinking cookie if I like the product. But not before. Since Cooper decided to not allow me a choice to close that stinker of a pop up , well kiss my ...................... No soup for you...

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Technology takes your work away so you’re wanting technology to give it back? Good luck with that. Ask a fax machine salesman about job security.
i meant that as a snide remark, bemoaning a new reason to need af and gf
so no i dont want my work taken away
i am not in favor of af anywhere in a house
i am only in favor of gf within 6ft of a sink or other source of water
we need less of them .... not more

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with them, in general , as long as they work as they claim. But we know better don't we? I told you guys all about my former sets of pliers and how they would come out clean of melted cutting surfaces when the makers were putting in GFI components in the AFCI breakers. Once they took that out , and my next subconscious attempt at suicide with a brand new pair of Kliens resulted in a good old fashioned kaboom just like before any electronic nonsense was added to circuit breakers (small ones, not distribution ones with gf built into them in large commercial buildings), I simply do not believe them. They may do something, but it's not turning itself off during large faults fast enough to do any real good......

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
my co worker has told me of an incident approximately 8 years ago
a circuit had been added to a college frat house, emt had been run outside under the eaves
for what ever reason, there had been a fire and he was there to make repairs with a leadman
the panel was not labeled and they could not determine which breaker to turn off
a portion of the emt was burned away due to the fire, while on a ladder the leadman told him to trip the AFCI breaker by bumping H and N together
it did not trip after several attempts, leadman said hold em together, they got too hot to hold and welded, he jumped off the ladder
they stood there and watched the emt burn back another foot or so before the breaker tripped

i am aware that the tech has been improved over 8 years

my point is that the NEC forced this unproven faulty KRAP on us and did not relent
as many have said ... follow the money and you will find the reason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts