Electrician Talk banner

Hand Bending Rigid

17K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  xlink 
#1 ·
When hand bending pipe, is the take off based on the pipe or the shoe? If I'm bending 1/2 rigid with 3/4 EMT bender, what do I use as my take off?

Appreciate any help with this...

#6 ·
Based on my experience the only way is to bend a scrap piece and determine the deduct from that.

The deduct for a piece of rigid may be different from thinwall even if bent on the same shoe.

Yeah, I just learned that for myself the hard way...! Thank anyway!

This is from the Ugly's book (a good general reference for many topics).
That is for EMT. My question was if the same take off applies to rigid...

#10 ·
Once you've done it a few times you should remember the deduct.

How would you explain the variance in an electric bender? Over voltage or undervoltage?
There may be some variance in conduit spring back if from different manufacturing runs. The amount of wear a shoe has will also be a factor if using different benders.

#11 ·
This is why a lot of guys put their name on the benders shared by everyone. Not that they are di**s, but that they took the time to actually learn the nuances of the bender, and don't want to have to do it again.

#12 ·
This might have changed with the modern improvements in benders, but it's hard to bend an offset in emt with a bender that has been used for bending rigid. Something about the hook at the end of the shoe being twisted makes it difficult to line up the bends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.