Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking to become an electrician. I've been working as a fire alarm technician for the past 8 months and find the electrical side of things more interesting.

I lived in Belleville, Ontario and I'm going to go to every electrical company in Belleville and Kingston to hand in resumes in person to see if they are looking to hire an apprentice or a helper.

I was wondering what would be the ideal time to see these companies? Early in the morning right after they open? A little later in the morning? Early Afternoon?

Also, what should I wear? Should I wear my work clothes/work boots and bring my tools to show them I mean business? :p

I appreciate any help :)

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
Nothing wrong with handing out resumes in person. It shows that you have the motivation to get out there rather than sit at home in your underwear and fire off resumes. If they say they only take internet resumes (which many companies do) then just say thank you, leave your resume anyway, and send it electronically.

I don't think time of day matters. The chance of getting someone at the precise time they are down a guy is remote. Spend a day or two at it and hit everyone you can.

·
Banned
202 Posts
I prefer people to drop them off in person, shows motivation. As for time of day for us I would suggest 30 mins after they open, we are always busy organizing for the day first thing then a short lull before we get wrapped up in phone calls, quotes etc. If someone stops in at 8:30 I can usually have a chat with them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
walking into businesses and introducing myself has gotten me jobs i loved, including my apprenticeship. sometimes with a resume, sometimes without, i think the face to face communication builds opportunity more than a piece of paper. though it helps and looks professional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.