Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for a job at a plant, and first took an online test that was mostly about theory. In two weeks, I need to go to the plant for hands-on testing. Has anyone ever been through this, and what kind of stuff should I expect? This is my first industrial job.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
hopefully it won't involve slamming down a bunch of tequila shooters and then spinning around a bat several times to see if you can walk a straight line or end up in a retaining pond.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I applied for a job at a plant, and first took an online test that was mostly about theory. In two weeks, I need to go to the plant for hands-on testing. Has anyone ever been through this, and what kind of stuff should I expect? This is my first industrial job.
Hard to say. In electrical maintenance some positives would be educational background, military and/or apprenticeship. Some plc knowledge, osha training, welding, operating, meter usage, loto (remember that means mechanical + electrical) There are a lot of avenues. They invited you to test so that sounds like you're in the plus column already.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,298 Posts
We did that when we were looking for a PLC guy, we had him connect the laptop and write a simple start/stop program, then save it. Never did it for regular maint electricans.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
We have the guy do some board level troubleshooting on a known board.

We have him connect, and get on-line to monitor three types of PLC.

Then there is a little set-up for PID they have him try and tune a little, he just has to slow oscillation down without making it worse.

Then we drill him with questions.

But all that is clearly explained before their initial interview, and upon passing the written exam. I would not expect them to spring something like this without giving you a heads-up.

Hiring, drug testing, and training are expensive. I doubt they would waste money on 99 mules looking for a horse, when they could weed out the mules much earlier.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.