Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasnt sure if there is a thread for this but i just wanted to share some of the handyman work ive come accross in the past few days. Wendys hired my company to fix electrical issues in 53 stores. Theyve had a handyman doing all their electrical work for years until he killed himself working on a live circuit. Now theyve been forced to hire a licensed contractor. Sad story but when are people going to start respecting electricity?? People who arent electricians should not be messing with it. Especially on commercial equipment. Here are a few from the A/C unit on the roof.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
By the condition of that roof and everything on it, that building looks like it should be torn down immediately.

·
13,020 Posts
By the condition of that roof and everything on it, that building looks like it should be torn down immediately.
You kidding me?

People put a brand new roof and brand new AHUs on a building here and it looks like that in 2 years.

Well, of course, usually the conduit is still intact :laughing:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
People just don't understand how lethal electricity can be.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
the guy obviously had some idea what he was doing though.
My opinion and philosophy is that if you don't know how to or are unable to do it correctly, don't do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is using conduit common? Around here its all teck cables. Don't recall seeing any conduit connections yet.

I had a job a bit ago, went up on the roof to install some control units, about 5am in the morning, layed a panel flat on the roof , a gust of wind came along lifted the panel up and rolled it across the roof, thought it was going to fly off the mall roof. Pouring rain in the face :(

When sun came up looked up on the upper roof and an entire Unit blew over onto its side, still running. Was close to severing the gas line and power cable. The store was wondering why their roof was leaking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My opinion and philosophy is that if you don't know how to or are unable to do it correctly, don't do it.
uh, yeah no kidding. what i meant was that this guy probably knew how fatal electricity can be if he's doing commercial installations.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
uh, yeah no kidding. what i meant was that this guy probably knew how fatal electricity can be if he's doing commercial installations.
Eh, he was doing things he was not qualified to do and eventually paid the ultimate price for it.

I think the company that hired him should face legal action for it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NC EET said:
Problem is they don't know enough to know how badly they are screwing the pooch. I've had them show me things with great pride that don't even come close to meeting code.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Anyone have any scary shock stories? I like when people tell me "oh yeah I've been electrocuted before. Threw me across the room" ha. I say well if you got electrocuted you'd be dead. You got shocked.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts