Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hang a 100-lb piece of electronic equipment on the exterior of a cinder block wall. The equipment comes with a solid steel bracket plate that mounts to the wall, and then the equipment hangs on that, essentially. The plate has four holes in it, and kit came with 6 anchors (pic attached) that I believe to be stainless steel 5/16-in expansion sleeve anchors (or whatever they're exactly called), with a 1.5-in sleeve. The instructions say "install the six anchors."
I don't ordinarily handle this kind of problem, so I'm thinking conservative. My experience with anchors of this type (drop-in, etc) has not been great, and those were situations where gravity was working for me, not against me. It's about $5k of hardware, and I don't want it to fall off.
I've asked around a bit, and suggestions I've heard are "masonry-type molly bolts" and possibly a threaded rod through the block to the inside, with strut or fender washers on the inside. I would appreciate input from people who have actually done this sort of thing before. THANKS.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,551 Posts
As long as the block wall is filled with concrete and not hollow those sleeve anchors work really well. If the wall is hollow I use the Hiliti Toggler bolts (1/4"). I would normally use 3/8" x 2 1/4" for sleeve anchors as well.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,355 Posts
I have mounted a zillion cabinets, TVs, etc. If you're anchoring to the hollow part of the block, toggles are better. The EZtoggle / snaptoggle type are far easier to work with than the old fashioned spring loaded ones.

If you blow out the back of the hole when you drill through, expansion anchors might not have full strength.

In the solid spots on the wall, like right in the center of the block, I trust old fashioned lag shields and lag bolts, but dropins are good too.

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
185 Posts
I like the idea of drilling all the way through and bolting to a piece of whatever stretching across the inside of the wall. Just to be sure.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,828 Posts
I have used some 1/4" toggle bolts in hollow block-- they work great and allows you a bit of fudge to get the equipment plumb and level

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
As long as the block wall is filled with concrete and not hollow those sleeve anchors work really well. If the wall is hollow I use the Hiliti Toggler bolts (1/4"). I would normally use 3/8" x 2 1/4" for sleeve anchors as well.
No.
Everything here is CMU two cell concrete blocks. They are perfect for them. Hollow or not

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If the equipment is low profile and does not stick out from the wall too much and you don't think anyone might stand on it or place additional weight on top of it then 100 lbs is not such a big deal. I do like toggles for hollow core walls but if in doubt then a steel plate on the back side of the wall with all tread would probably hold the most weight.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Sleeve anchors are great as long as you use the right size. Obviously you need the part that expands to be within the solid part of the block and the hole has to be snug.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,355 Posts
Why not, or, why not for 100 lbs?
Through bolts are for much heavier loads. A 100# piece of equipment is nothing. If you have four bolts, that's 25# per bolt. (Although I always size it so that any one bolt could bear the whole load - anything worth building is worth overbuilding. But the 100# is in shear, not tension (not pulling out of the wall). The shear strength on say a 1/4" bolt is way over 100#. A single 1/4" toggler could handle the whole load.

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
We use 1 7/8", we call em stubby sleeves, anchors in hollow block all the time. A few of them on a 100 # enclosure wouldn't give me a second thought.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts