Electrician Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to hang a 100-lb piece of electronic equipment on the exterior of a cinder block wall. The equipment comes with a solid steel bracket plate that mounts to the wall, and then the equipment hangs on that, essentially. The plate has four holes in it, and kit came with 6 anchors (pic attached) that I believe to be stainless steel 5/16-in expansion sleeve anchors (or whatever they're exactly called), with a 1.5-in sleeve. The instructions say "install the six anchors."
I don't ordinarily handle this kind of problem, so I'm thinking conservative. My experience with anchors of this type (drop-in, etc) has not been great, and those were situations where gravity was working for me, not against me. It's about $5k of hardware, and I don't want it to fall off.
I've asked around a bit, and suggestions I've heard are "masonry-type molly bolts" and possibly a threaded rod through the block to the inside, with strut or fender washers on the inside. I would appreciate input from people who have actually done this sort of thing before. THANKS.

View attachment 155206
I had to hang a small transformer on a cinder block wall. Did so using threaded rod and 3/8" metal plates on both sides of the wall. (instead of washers) Plates covered the xfmr mounting points.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,243 Posts
Tapcons will not work on a cinder block wall and do not use them. Cinder blocks are made from ash, sand, and cement and are soft. Tapcons will cause the cinder/cement mixture to crumble. They might hold the vertical down load but what about the moment arm or rotational torque? Toggles or as others said, " Through bolts or rod."

·
Premium Member
19,052 Posts
I have no idea what cinder block is.
Here in south Florida we use concrete blocks for exterior walls.
Tomorrow our crew has a task to hang a 156lb 7.5kva transformer on an exterior wall.
Without asking, I know they will be using 3/8” sleeve anchors

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,243 Posts
Cinder blocks were used during depression times. Around here many buildings built in the 1940s or earlier used this type of block mainly for garages , or smaller warehouses. They are very porous and needed some type of cement stucco on the outside. They are not as dense as cement blocks. I can use my linemen pliers to break into the web.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used 3/8 tapcon style in stainless for outdoor holding 300lb control panel on a block wall with no issues.just have to be careful when you drill hole go slow and don't force it.. The general blue color ones do not last outdoors.
I feel you, @ Ker82, bit while everyone (including myself) does so, Tapcons are not rated for vertical (shear force) applications.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to hang a 100-lb piece of electronic equipment on the exterior of a cinder block wall. The equipment comes with a solid steel bracket plate that mounts to the wall, and then the equipment hangs on that, essentially. The plate has four holes in it, and kit came with 6 anchors (pic attached) that I believe to be stainless steel 5/16-in expansion sleeve anchors (or whatever they're exactly called), with a 1.5-in sleeve. The instructions say "install the six anchors."
I don't ordinarily handle this kind of problem, so I'm thinking conservative. My experience with anchors of this type (drop-in, etc) has not been great, and those were situations where gravity was working for me, not against me. It's about $5k of hardware, and I don't want it to fall off.
I've asked around a bit, and suggestions I've heard are "masonry-type molly bolts" and possibly a threaded rod through the block to the inside, with strut or fender washers on the inside. I would appreciate input from people who have actually done this sort of thing before. THANKS.

If possible, ask a structural engineer or consult the manufacturer.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts