Electrician Talk banner

Harbour Freight Tools- Ace or Disgrace

4810 Views 36 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  TooFarFromFenway
Well we all buy and use stuff from Harbour Freight. The prices can't be beat but the quality can be inferior compared to the brands we all know and love. The problem is some tools work and some are complete junk. If we could weed through the junk tools and supplies we could save each other a buck and more importantly the headache of tyring to use a tool that's just not going to work right.

So pleas share the details of your experiences with your last purchase. Try to Include the model number, location it was purchased, pictures, price, and anything else you think would be helpful in identifying that tool.

Then after you have used it for a bit and think you can give us a fair review of the tool, let us know what you think.

In the beginning of your post please include the phrase "Harbour Freight Tools- Ace" (or disgrace)
So members can use the search function to see if the tool they are pondering the purchase of is on either list.

Anyone with ideas to make this run a little smoother feel free to let em' rip. I am just sick and tired of rolling the dice in this store but i cant seem to stay out of it either. :(

P.S. I think this is a great idea but not my own. I am sure i seen it somewhere on the web.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· RIP 1959-2015
39,532 Posts
Well we all buy and use stuff from Harbour Freight. The prices can't be beat but the quality can be inferior compared to the brands we all know and love. The problem is some tools work and some are complete junk. If we could weed through the junk tools and supplies we could save each other a buck and more importantly the headache of tyring to use a tool that's just not going to work right.

So pleas share the details of your experiences with your last purchase. Try to Include the model number, location it was purchased, pictures, price, and anything else you think would be helpful in identifying that tool.

Then after you have used it for a bit and think you can give us a fair review of the tool, let us know what you think.

In the beginning of your post please include the phrase "Harbour Freight Tools- Ace" (or disgrace)
So members can use the search function to see if the tool they are pondering the purchase of is on either list.

Anyone with ideas to make this run a little smoother feel free to let em' rip. I am just sick and tired of rolling the dice in this store but i cant seem to stay out of it either. :(

P.S. I think this is a great idea but not my own. I am sure i seen it somewhere on the web.
Way back when I was just starting out the Electrician I was working for told me there is a reason some tools are affordable,,"Because they suck"..:eek::laughing:

If you pay twice as much for Klein's they will last and function 10 times longer than cheap junk that is shiny.

Just like a pair of boots you can get a pair for $20 at the department store you feet will be killing you all day and you will be going through 5 pairs of them a year,,,Or you can buy a pair of Made in the USA Red Wings and your feet will feel like the hottest blond is kissing your feet all day....:thumbup:

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Il give it a go.

Definitly an Ace

This sweet deal came from the freight in N.E. Philly
$35 i think. It was a gift from my old man. 1/2 inch hammer drill, item number 94436. Had it about 6 months and its done all i have asked for sure. I use it mostly for boring but have used it up against some tough masonry and suprisingly its held its own. I would switch over to somthing bigger or company owned :whistling2: if I was going to be drilling all day but shes a quality tool if u ask me.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Way back when I was just starting out the Electrician I was working for told me there is a reason some tools are affordable,,"Because they suck"..:eek::laughing:

If you pay twice as much for Klein's they will last and function 10 times longer than cheap junk that is shiny.

Just like a pair of boots you can get a pair for $20 at the department store you feet will be killing you all day and you will be going through 5 pairs of them a year,,,Or you can buy a pair of Made in the USA Red Wings and your feet will feel like the hottest blond is kissing your feet all day....:thumbup:

Well i have had some expensive boots Made right here In the U.S.A. and it sure as hell did not felt like some hot blonde was kissing them by the end of the day. :lol::lol::lol:

· Electrical Contractor
9,279 Posts
If you want tools to hang on your garage wall and never get used, go to HF. IF you want tools that won't let you down when you're up in the bucket or down in a crawl space, don't bother with 'em.

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts

http://hfreviews.com/

~CS~

· NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
I get a few tools from them. I have yet to have any issues with air tools i got there, and the one I did they replaced right away.

I have bought a few step bits and tap drill bits. I dont use them much, but they work when I do.

Love the **** tape for pulling wire

My big rule is if I have to rely on it, dont get it there

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a slap hammer (stapler) from there. The damn thing exploded after the first shot. Staples went flying, spring poped out. Ended up trying to use it upside down to finish up some tyvek. Man i was cursing the Freight that day :-[ Stay away from that thing. I picked up one from the depot. Arrow brand i guess. It was hanging on a diplay rack that said 18.99 but rang up at 29.99 I argued a bit and got the discount. Havent used it since though lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.