Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small remodeling job in a huose built in the 30s some newer wire and some K&T. HO wanted few ceiling lights replaced with fans couple others just new light fixtures and switchs and recepts replaced. Pulled all the old fixtures down and all there was the ccc and gc pulled through a couple holes in the ceiling .Thought maybe someone plastered over the boxes ???? I was able to access three upstairs through attic there were no ceiling boxes . I added fan rated boxes . All the switchs and recepts were in boxes . Has anyone else ran across something like this in an old house

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
stillirnin said:
I have a small remodeling job in a huose built in the 30s some newer wire and some K&T. HO wanted few ceiling lights replaced with fans couple others just new light fixtures and switchs and recepts replaced. Pulled all the old fixtures down and all there was the ccc and gc pulled through a couple holes in the ceiling .Thought maybe someone plastered over the boxes ???? I was able to access three upstairs through attic there were no ceiling boxes . I added fan rated boxes . All the switchs and recepts were in boxes . Has anyone else ran across something like this in an old house
See that all the time. Heck, the house I'm in right now is like that.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Doesn't really matter at this point, but the 1890s thru the 50s were pretty much the Wild West of electrical work. Most of the code back the. Was for movie theaters to prevent cellulose film from catching fire.

·
Slave to the grind
624 Posts
I've ran into some like that where the original electrician went to the trouble of having the conductors pass through insulators, embedded into the plaster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts