Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i found out that another contractor told a customer we both bid a job for that i "didnt have a license." At first I sort of dismissed it as this guy was just being an unprofessional ass and must have felt threatened by me or something but after thinking more about it im pretty unhappy about it. This is a VERY small community and even if it isnt true thats not something i want people to associate with me at all. Ive worked very hard to build a impeccable reputation here and i dont want that to be damaged. I see this as different than saying something else about me such as "he does crappy work" or "hes a jerk" becauae that stuff is just bs opinions rather than an actual lie that can damage my business. What do you all think?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It takes angelic patience Hippie

I hail from a small community, under 3K pop.;)

So i'm also subjected to the complete hack handymen out there , who inevitably flap their:censored: pie holes about me

Thing is, they're the same sort that call and either ask my advice, or ask me in to fix what the 'effed up:rolleyes:

Trust me, it comes full circle, and the smaller you pond the quicker it WILL come back to you if you learn (and this is the hard part) to patronize all the slanderous misgivings of what are people so insecure in their existence that they need to pull themselves up by pulling others down

~CS~

·
Registered
144 Posts
Slander is a false statement made to do harm. So, yes you were slandered.

The question becomes: Is it legally actionable, and will taking action do you more harm in the community than not taking it?

You might be better off directly challenging him on the lie somewhere public, like the annual fireman's ball or some such.

Also in some states, lying about other contractors to gain a bidding advantage is an action that the licensing board can censure a contractor for.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
One way or another I am the type of guy that would call him out on it. I would probable swing by his shop and ask him directly. I am sure it wouldn't happen again. I think he would understand my point of view on these things.... :whistling2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
RGH said:
One way or another I am the type of guy that would call him out on it. I would probable swing by his shop and ask him directly. I am sure it wouldn't happen again. I think he would understand my point of view on these things.... :whistling2:
You want it in a fairly public area, that isn't a bar. If things go sideways you don't need to get arrested. This goes better in a room full of neutral witnesses, than his shop.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
We have 1 bozo in my area...says he is a master etc., we know he has no tag, no insurance etc. inspectors are after him, poco after him. I ask customers if they want to see copy of my tag and insurance cert when I walk in. I have them in my tin/clipper, some do some don't. I find it puts them at ease. I, like most have no comments on my competitors sux some do business like that but they do. Times have changed or maybe I just got old idk seems people didn't do crap like that years ago. Hell I remember writing estimates on business cards and not writing contracts because people trusted us.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have 1 bozo in my area...says he is a master etc., we know he has no tag, no insurance etc. inspectors are after him, poco after him. I ask customers if they want to see copy of my tag and insurance cert when I walk in. I have them in my tin/clipper, some do some don't. I find it puts them at ease. I, like most have no comments on my competitors sux some do business like that but they do. Times have changed or maybe I just got old idk seems people didn't do crap like that years ago. Hell I remember writing estimates on business cards and not writing contracts because people trusted us.
honestly this is par for the course here.. i just wasnt really expecting it to happen to me as ive always tried to stay away from gossip and sh*t talk, etc.. ive never badmouthed any of my competition or their work (other than here lol and they have always been anonymous) but business people here are generally way more unprofessional all around than anywhere else ive lived.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Oh please, stop the nostalgic guilt trip RG

It just feeds my every spirling misanthropist persona to think how insignificant a biz gentlemans handshake has become ....

~CS~

·
Can't Remember
11,057 Posts
I don't really advertise and lose track of how people find me. Word of mouth usually works pretty well for me. At one point a few years back, my aunt was using some money she had inherited from my grandmother to renovate her house. She was all worried about the wiring in her place. I upgraded the service and put afci on everything that would have needed it at the time. I gave her a reasonable deal and did a good job. Meanwhile the handyman carpenter tells her I am charging too much and electricians make too much money. She can be difficult to deal with, but who the hell are you to tell a family member this. F that, I wouldn't stop to help you if you were bleeding on the side of the road. A hole.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
...mm Meanwhile the handyman carpenter tells her I am charging too much and electricians make too much money....
Translation: the handyman carpenter is most likely a hack who couldn't sell his way out of a wet paper sack. Claims to be a pro but only can find jobs like replacing cabinet pulls and handles, recaulking old 2-piece shower tubs or installing toilet seats.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Reason #48 that I would suck as a contractor.

I would want to go meet that guy somewhere and beat his azz.

Or at least send male p0rn magazines to his office.

Reactions: Mrphil

·
Can't Remember
11,057 Posts
He was decent enough to deal with in person and seemed to do good work. I would rather he'd say that to my face. That I can deal with. Haven't picked up a tool to do any work there since. Meanwhile they are getting together to try and put together a bunch of people so they can bulk order some generators and save a bunch of money. She wants an electric generator as opposed to gas... Match made in heaven.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.