Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I first learned it in electronics class in high school.

Our teacher taught us: Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

The next time I needed it was during a tele-data course I took at the hall, they used it to identify the colors in those large cables with 100 pairs.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Yeah. Mostly for EOL resistors for fire, security, DeviceNET, and RemoteI/O. In truth, I don't read the bands. Things that need an EOL resistor come with them, and I just ohm them out with the meter to double-check them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MDShunk said:
Yeah. Mostly for EOL resistors for fire, security, DeviceNET, and RemoteI/O. In truth, I don't read the bands. Things that need an EOL resistor come with them, and I just ohm them out with the meter to double-check them.
How are EOL resistors different than other resistors in terms of construction? What makes them EOL?

What is I/O? I'm assuming it means in/out, but I'm not sure what that amounts to in terms of practical meaning.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Use them all the time for fire alarm work. I went to school for electronics before I accidentally fell into the electrical trade. Knowing my resistor color code saves me a step. Instead of pulling out the meter to check like the other guys do I just read the colors. In school they taught us the little saying Hack Work posted to remember it. I still use that today.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,528 Posts
99cents said:
Dammit, our Violet goes without. Your Violet gives willingly. I like your Violet better.
We did it Behind Victory Garden Walls,,,, and for tolerances it was Get Started Now.

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls,, Get Started Now."

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wirenuting said:
We did it Behind Victory Garden Walls,,,, and for tolerances it was Get Started Now. "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls,, Get Started Now."
Get started now? What's that about? Tolerance is:

No color = 20%
Silver = 10
Gold = 5
Red = 2
Brown = 1

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I first learned it in electronics class in high school.

Our teacher taught us: Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

The next time I needed it was during a tele-data course I took at the hall, they used it to identify the colors in those large cables with 100 pairs.
Cable pair color code, tip side - white, red, black, yellow, violet. While running backwards you vomit.

Ring side - blue, orange, green, brown, slate. I don't remember if there was a saying to go along with it. Easier to just remember the colors.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, we use resistors in our high speed counter modules and I've had few other occasions to use them too.

Knowing your color code can be helpful especially when someone mixes all the resistors up and you need to quickly sort though and find what you need; however, I still test with meter once I've made my selection just to make sure (sometimes the colors are tricky or my eyes aren't what they used to be).

I learned "Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly". :laughing:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Cable pair color code, tip side - white, red, black, yellow, violet. While running backwards you vomit.

Ring side - blue, orange, green, brown, slate. I don't remember if there was a saying to go along with it. Easier to just remember the colors.
The one I learned for ring side was: blue sky, orange sun, green grass, slate side walk. Slate thing was weird but the teacher lived in some town with slate sidewalks, I think that alone helps me.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Funny this came up, never used this in 25 years since I learned it, until last week when one of my techs needed to ID a resistor in a breaker. I said "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls, Get Started Now."

He asks, WTF does that mean, my reply "I don't remember, go look it up"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.