Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No but a co-worker has

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am looking to find out what percentage of electricians has worked with ICF. I made a tool the first day of my apprenticeship and it is patent pending. I can’t find much information online as to how often ICF is used.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
They built a house close to me that was completely ICF.

I have done one ICF job. Trenched out the styrofoam with a Sawzall, attached Nutech boxes to the plastic keeper strips. Worked good. Ipex apparently makes boxes with claws that stick into the styrofoam. Easy install, actually. Shot some spray foam into the trench just to keep the cable in place.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
Chain saw:thumbup:
Of course, the chips are everywhere, but the speed of cutting is worth it.
Use a small saw, and you get good enough to cut out the boxes.
Don't know how legal it is, but I have used spray foam to set the boxes.

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
ponyboy said:
I have done multiple. We used a battery operated chain saw and expanding foam to close the channels up. We also used 4square boxes screwed right to the concrete
Same here, I use my big router to cut the trench and box holes. I set a 2x4 as a guide for the wire ways and my log jig for the boxes.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
backstay said:
Same here, I use my big router to cut the trench and box holes. I set a 2x4 as a guide for the wire ways and my log jig for the boxes.
A jig would be ideal. I used to simply trace the box out with a sharpie and cut it out with chainsaw and then finish cleaning the spot out with the claw on my hammer. Got pretty good at it after a while

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Done a pile of ICF basements. Electric chainsaw with Slater SG boxes screwed to the ties. Anything over SG would be metal boxes anchored to the concrete. Use the thick edge of a door wedge to push the wire back in the slot. I've done two houses with ICF on both levels. Stinks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.