Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new to data/ phone, can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here?
I suspect it's the old phone line splitter/demarc(?). I'd like to yank it to make more space for the new panel. Ho is getting new phone, internet, cable in a week or so.
I hate tearing up other people's equipment by mistake, this thing looks past its prime but I've been surprised before.
Maybe someone can point me to a decent book about these types of systems?
Thanks in advance for any info/ help.

Attachments

·
Hackenschmidt
12,263 Posts
I believe it's part of the legendary 1A2 KTU (key telephone unit) system, which was obsolete when I started doing telephone work. There were common in the 1960's and 1970's, a survived into the 1980's, rare in the 1990's, pretty much gone by 2000. If you've ever seen phones that look like this, with the row of lights on the bottom, those were 1A2 and it's derivatives. You had to run a 25 pair cable to each telephone, phone closets would have walls full of punchdown blocks.

Corded phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Office equipment

·
Registered
536 Posts
And the Romex with the open splices in the last picture? Now where did I put my old butt set?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I'm going to do a bit more homework but I'm pretty sure there's no existing phone, or one at most. Whatever is there is going away mid next week for new service. The home was built in the 50s to a successful accountant's specifications. Supposedly he used to run a staff of about a dozen people in the basement. It's a very unassuming home built very practically. I'm in the process of updating it for the first time since construction- well, except for a couple circuits like hvac, dishwasher, etc... the walls are 1 inch. It looks like 1/4 +3/4 sheet rock. Ho didn't believe me so i showed her. My diamond buzz saw blade just barely made it through and i ended up resorting to my jab saw actually. Lots of interesting things are still intact.
Thanks again. If anyone is interested in trading for a pushmatic panel, I'll accept a used or new flux capacitor. If used, must provide proof of recent calibration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts