Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
Three places I have worked on come immediately to mind.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
I assure you, it is not what you think....

A-120V -gd
B-215V-gd
C-120V-gd

240V between phases.

And everything in the panel works.....

I had to step away for a couple minutes....
You are right. Different stinger voltage than I am used to.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I assure you, it is not what you think....

A-120V -gd
B-215V-gd
C-120V-gd

240V between phases.

And everything in the panel works.....

I had to step away for a couple minutes....
Other than the fact that the high leg is usually closer to 208v, this is pretty much like every delta 3 phase 240v transformer I've worked on. I'm guessing you've never seen a high leg delta service?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You are right. Different stinger voltage than I am used to.
That is because those combinations of voltages are not actually possible. If the stinger voltage to the grounded conductor is 215, then the other two legs will have a voltage of ~124 to the grounded conductor, and the phase to phase voltage would be 248.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is because those combinations of voltages are not actually possible. If the stinger voltage to the grounded conductor is 215, then the other two legs will have a voltage of ~124 to the grounded conductor, and the phase to phase voltage would be 248.
Yes, my bad....

Line voltages ran high at 122.6V I think.

The exact voltages weren't what had me scratching my head.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the panel picture, it looks like the spare spaces only have bus fingers for the A and C phases. Was all of the panel built like that or did some of the spaces have B phase fingers for the installation of 3 pole breakers?
The whole panel is only A-C phases, yet the bus bar behind them are 3 phase including the stinger leg.

Apparently someone took all the straps off the B-phase, and must of ordered straps for the A phase, and re strapped the whole panel.

Best I could guess, anyway....

Never seen it done before, and can't understand why who-ever did it...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh no, I've seen and worked on plenty.

But I've never seen this set-up before.

Look at all the SP breakers.
I'm viewing from my phone, so I can't get a good look at the pictures. I don't ever remember seeing anyone use the highleg with single pole breakers to obtain 208v, but I have often wondered how out would work. Sounds good in theory, never been too sure about reality though.

One setup that threw me for a loop early in my career was a corner grounded delta.

240v a phase to ground
240v b phase to ground
0v c phase to ground

240v phase to phase on all three

Blew my mind at the time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.