Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to start a new career in the field and I have been sending my resume to companies in Calgary and Edmonton but no luck so far.
I'm willing to relocate anywhere in Alberta.

Do you guys know any company hiring 1st year apprentice?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
hmm im assuming you want an industrial job in fort mac or another oil boomtown

i know to work up there you usually need:

frist aid
csts
h2s alive
whmis

im probably forgetting some other certifications too ... probably gotta pass a piss test too.

if you don't have all this they won't even look at your resume twice. especially since you're not even an apprentice yet.

my advice would be to get a job as a rig pig laborer and go from there. you can still make decent dough like close to 30 bucks an hour. and you can probably get your foot in the door with an electrical company there and get indentured/apprenticed

even rig pigs need all those certs too though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you didn't get what I said. Im not looking for any job.
I'm looking for electrician apprentice jobs and it can be residential / commercial or industrial. I just need to get my foot in the door but I'm having a hard time to find companies taking starters :-/

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think fisstech gave you some good advice. Do whatever it takes to first get your foot in the door. That way when an opening for an electrical apprentice comes up, you will have demonstrated work ethic, attitude and attendance which (providing they're good) will put you above any other applicant without electrical experience trying to get in. Often companies like to promote from within. At our company apprenticeships are only open to current employees.

Reactions: wildleg

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm looking for anything - residential / commercial / whatever.

I'm applying for jobs in Edmonton or Calgary now.
Fort Mac is my last option but I'm also willing to work up there.
resi and commercial companies that only do city work in Edmonton and Calgary aren't going to hire some guy from Ontario, just being honest man. They got enough guys from the city just like you banging on their doors looking to get apprenticed.

your best bet is up North.

·
Registered
240 Posts
NO. Do not fall for one of those scams.
its different up here man. oft times these pre employment courses work hand in hand with the provincial apprenticeship program, and you are credited with some levels of schooling (mostly 1 but i've heard of getting levels 1 and 2), and hours towards your field training.

i did one and it landed me an apprenticeship with the union. plus now ive only got 3 more levels of school to do. not all are "scams"

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
its different up here man. oft times these pre employment courses work hand in hand with the provincial apprenticeship program, and you are credited with some levels of schooling (mostly 1 but i've heard of getting levels 1 and 2), and hours towards your field training.

i did one and it landed me an apprenticeship with the union. plus now ive only got 3 more levels of school to do. not all are "scams"
Here they can be beneficial but not always. I know that they find you placement for 6 months or so and the government pays part of your wage(incentive for employers). They do cover your Level 1 of school but you still have to write an exemption test and if you fail well you can either pay again to write or just end up going to school anyways. Your hours from the pre apprenticeship program DO count towards your hours of apprenticeship

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

Ah alright. Around here you just work for a company and the good ones will pay for your schooling.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ah alright. Around here you just work for a company and the good ones will pay for your schooling.
Basically the way it works in Ontario is you have to find a company willing to take you on as an apprentice. Pre apprenticeships have partnerships with some employers so when you finish the in school part of the program you go work for these employers. Pre-apprenticeship placements are subsidized by the government. You are still an employee of the company the government just pays part of or all of your wage for a pre determined amount of time. After that time you as a company owner can either keep the pre apprentice on and eventually sign him/her as an apprentice or get rid of them. Now some companies pay tuition here but it is not required....regardless the schooling is roughly 500 a Level for 3 Levels. The union pays there apprentices tuitions granted they pass. My benefits are catered towards construction trades so my benefits paid my tuition I just had to put the money upfront.

I think this who government subsidy came from the Economic Action Plan.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey guys,

I want to start a new career in the field and I have been sending my resume to companies in Calgary and Edmonton but no luck so far.
I'm willing to relocate anywhere in Alberta.

Do you guys know any company hiring 1st year apprentice?

Thanks
What part of Ontario??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.