Registered
240 Posts
hmm im assuming you want an industrial job in fort mac or another oil boomtown

i know to work up there you usually need:

frist aid
csts
h2s alive
whmis

im probably forgetting some other certifications too ... probably gotta pass a piss test too.

if you don't have all this they won't even look at your resume twice. especially since you're not even an apprentice yet.

my advice would be to get a job as a rig pig laborer and go from there. you can still make decent dough like close to 30 bucks an hour. and you can probably get your foot in the door with an electrical company there and get indentured/apprenticed

even rig pigs need all those certs too though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm looking for anything - residential / commercial / whatever.

I'm applying for jobs in Edmonton or Calgary now.
Fort Mac is my last option but I'm also willing to work up there.
resi and commercial companies that only do city work in Edmonton and Calgary aren't going to hire some guy from Ontario, just being honest man. They got enough guys from the city just like you banging on their doors looking to get apprenticed.

your best bet is up North.

·
Registered
240 Posts
NO. Do not fall for one of those scams.
its different up here man. oft times these pre employment courses work hand in hand with the provincial apprenticeship program, and you are credited with some levels of schooling (mostly 1 but i've heard of getting levels 1 and 2), and hours towards your field training.

i did one and it landed me an apprenticeship with the union. plus now ive only got 3 more levels of school to do. not all are "scams"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.