Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading through the threads here and have seen several people talking about having customers "sign off" before they start work.

What do you have them sign?

We do mostly residential and do most of our communication with the customer is via email. I usually draw up an estimate and write out the terms of the job on the email (ie scope of work, etc). The customer provides us with a 30% deposit to secure the job and be added to the schedule.

Just curious what your process looks like.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
In my state, unless it is an emergency service not exceeding something like $500, and I have a hand written note from the customer explaining the exigent circumstances, they have a 3 day right of refusal.
that's a fun one I really like that law.
half the time the customer doesn't even want to sign the contract.
:laughing:

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
that's a fun one I really like that law.
half the time the customer doesn't even want to sign the contract.
:laughing:
The problem is that they can sign your contract and 2 days 23 hrs 59 minutes 59 seconds later they can put a letter in the mailbox changing their mind... then you show up on the 4th day (a few days before you get the letter) they open the door and let you do the work, thank you for the work and have a nice day and are under no contractual obligation to pay you a penny.

So, if I am a contractor that does not know you, you are going to be a week or so without a refrigerator before I come back to preform any work or furnish any materials.

The hand written note protects the contractor in emergency situations.

Now I need to watch tin men again LOL.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I look them in the eye.

Old school I guess. Did a 50K job in the 80's that way. I did get monthly payments for that one tho. Most my jobs are small (< 10K).

Did get bit a few times over the years. Not a lot of dollars tho in the big pic (since '75).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.