Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,322 Posts
I would think that you would run a hdmi cord from there to its base. like this???

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,322 Posts
I think the building code guys jackboot you for running HDMI in the walls. I'm pretty sure you can connect these with Cat 5 but I'm not sure. I'm running this for TV.
you may be right but I have never done this so I don't know. I saw this plate on line and another that says to use hdmi cable. Someone will know

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I think the building code guys jackboot you for running HDMI in the walls. I'm pretty sure you can connect these with Cat 5 but I'm not sure. I'm running this for TV.
I'm not aware of any code that does not permit HDMI cable in a wall. It may be a Canadian code though:001_huh:

Pete

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,322 Posts
I found this

An HDMI cable is usually composed of four shielded twisted pairs, with impedance of the order of 100 Ω, plus several separate conductors.

·
Estwing magic
27,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not aware of any code that does not permit HDMI cable in a wall. It may be a Canadian code though:001_huh:

Pete
I don't know, I'm just talking through my butt. Maybe there's a flame spread issue, maybe not. I'm just doing a little commercial job where I need to run HDMI from a floor box to a TV. I always have Cat 5 or 6 in the truck and going to the supplier for an HDMI cable is always a pain in the a$$.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
http://youtu.be/Da5SMuqQJ_8

This mike holt video I have found to be very helpful in regards to flexible cords and cord assemblies (which HDMI would fall into).

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,322 Posts
http://youtu.be/Da5SMuqQJ_8

This mike holt video I have found to be very helpful in regards to flexible cords and cord assemblies (which HDMI would fall into).
Yes but hdmi is not performing the function of wiring equipment. Heck telephone wire is run thru the walls. I assume the hdmi is a class 2 cable and should be fine

I can't see how cat 5 or cat 6 would work

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I don't know, I'm just talking through my butt. Maybe there's a flame spread issue, maybe not. I'm just doing a little commercial job where I need to run HDMI from a floor box to a TV. I always have Cat 5 or 6 in the truck and going to the supplier for an HDMI cable is always a pain in the a$$.
I'm seeing 19 conductors but maybe all of them are not used? It seems like it would be more of a PITA wiring cat5 up then getting the correct cable.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,322 Posts
I have checked a few sites and the hdmi appears to be CL 2 so it should not be an issue

·
Estwing magic
27,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long is the run?

I would go to Monoprice.com and get a simple CL2 rated HDMI cable for 40' or less. I know others who have run it 50' or more, but I never went that far.

If you need to go further, use some type of balun device that runs the data over CAT5 cable, such as the coverplates posted in post #10.
Do I only run one Cat 5, Hack? Maybe I'll run two just in case. It's only twenty feet.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Do I only run one Cat 5, Hack? Maybe I'll run two just in case. It's only twenty feet.
If it's only 20', just get an HDMI cable. Plug it into cover plates like Dennis posted in post #2... or just have the end of the HDMI cable come out of the wall thru a "scoop" type cover plate.

If you are set on using one of these devices that uses a balun so that you could go further distances over Cat5, then I would just find the installation instructions which will tell you if you need 1 or 2 Cat5 cables (I've seen both).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.