Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in entering into an electrician's apprenticeship. However, I have an electrical problem with my heart that causes tachycardia (fast heart rate). I take a beta blocker to help control this. I also have intermittent atrial fibrillation.

I was wondering how often you get shocked on the job as it could potentially be a problem for my heart.


I do understand that there are some inherent risks involved in the job and that electricians do get electrocuted on occasion. I am not wondering about shocks that would be fatal for anyone but rather how often smaller, non-fata shocks occur as I'm afraid that a large enough one could trip my heart up.

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
You should never get shocked at work. I've never gotten shocked at work. Don't be sloppy. Do you have a pacemaker? Some equipment has signage prohibiting people with pacemakers from getting too close.
 

·
RIP 1959-2015
Joined
·
39,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

You've got to make sure when you look for a job as an electrician that the company has a no live work policy , also as and electrician is a physically hard job so if your heart cannot take strenuous exercise then you will not be able to do it anyhow.

Regardless of your heart condition , getting shocked can kill you on the spot at anytime getting shocked can stop your heart and that goes for all of us who work in the trade.

Many company's have no live work policy's these days just make sure they enforce it.
 

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
Joined
·
17,042 Posts
You should never get shocked at work. I've never gotten shocked at work. Don't be sloppy....
Agreed. When I've been belted it's because I was rushing or doing something stupid. I have never had an unpreventable shock. If you're sincerely careful it's entirely possible to never get a shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
I don't have a condition bad enough to take beta blockers, but I do go in to tachycardia every now and then (every year or so).

I'd only be concerned if you had a pacemaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Agreed. When I've been belted it's because I was rushing or doing something stupid. I have never had an unpreventable shock. If you're sincerely careful it's entirely possible to never get a shock.
You have never had an "unpreventable shock". But it has happened. It's an inherent risk of working around the same damn thing every day of your life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Agreed. When I've been belted it's because I was rushing or doing something stupid. I have never had an unpreventable shock. If you're sincerely careful it's entirely possible to never get a shock.
I've gotten shocked about a half dozen times by 120 doing projects outside of work. I don't want to get shocked at work, some of the systems I've worked on will literally vaporize a person.
 

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
Joined
·
17,042 Posts
You have never had an "unpreventable shock". But it has happened. It's an inherent risk of working around the same damn thing every day of your life.
You're right. But to a person who thinks that even a "regular" shock might give them a heart attack, I bet they'd be a lot less cavalier than a lot of us often are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
This thread reminds me of those old stories I've read about railroad brakemen before the adoption of pneumatic brakes. A brakeman with 9 or 10 fingers was considered inexperienced, while a brakeman who missing more than 4 fingers was considered too careless.
 

·
Salty Member
Joined
·
31,081 Posts
I've gotten shocked about a half dozen times by 120 doing projects outside of work. I don't want to get shocked at work, some of the systems I've worked on will literally vaporize a person.
And if we all worked on systems like that maybe we would not get shocked either.

But you presented it like a shock on the job is a rare event and it is not for most electricians.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,762 Posts
If your heart or body is sensitive to electrical shocks, electrician is not a good idea.


You are not supposed to get shocked on the job and it will not happen with proper safety procedures in place. However, truth is some forms of electrical as with like a service electrician it is almost investable. Less so for the others, but still it can happen.


Many times you believe a circuit is dead or are in a hot attic and next thing you know your getting lit up from some else's mistakes.
 

·
animal lover /rat bastard
Joined
·
13,547 Posts
And if we all worked on systems like that maybe we would not get shocked either.

But you presented it like a shock on the job is a rare event and it is not for most electricians.
I agree.

I'm working up in a ceiling this week that's a 4 story 30 or 40 yr old high end anchor store, got bought out 30 yrs ago, renovated 10 yrs ago, you look up in the ceiling and it's like a war zone from the apocalypse. I don't want to get shocked any more than anyone else, but what's the odds I can add a few ckts without getting zapped once ? Sure, I could turn down the work. Unfortunately, I need the money.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top