Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the section of the code where it addresses an issue I am having with heat tape being put on a gas meter them wrapped in fiberglass insulation then a garbage bag tied over it. This was done by the gas company. An extension cord run from the inside to the outside of the building powers the heat tape.

I don't like the setup at all. But need to review the section of the code that would cover this an so far I cant locate anything. Can someone point me to the right section(s)

·
Estwing magic
26,775 Posts
why would the gas company put a heat tape around a gas meter to start with? sounds kinda dangerous.:eek:
Maybe because the electronics were acting up in cold weather. There's gotta be a better way then plug-in heat tape, insulation and a garbage bag. Obviously.

I don't care what the code book says. This is wrong.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
If the meter has a vent, bagging it would be a mistake. As far as heat trace, there is Zone 1, Division 1 systems. I just got a price from the SH. $200 for the end connector. $250 for the power connector and $11 a foot for the cable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
NFPA 54 2.7.2(c) Gas meters 3 feet from sources of ignition.

Does the tape have a thermostat in it? The arcing is probably a source of ignition.

Is the gas propane or natural? I am more familiar with propane which has additional restrictions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts