Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed heat trace in roof drain lines before and have a customer which we wired their building request heat trace be installed the entire drain line because it’s freezing up all winter. The line is 4” PVC and is 150’ long (mostly underground) until it hits the catch basin-man hole. In looking on the web nothing really states that this can be installed like this, anybody else come across this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
I have installed heat trace in roof drain lines before and have a customer which we wired their building request heat trace be installed the entire drain line because it’s freezing up all winter. The line is 4” PVC and is 150’ long (mostly underground) until it hits the catch basin-man hole. In looking on the web nothing really states that this can be installed like this, anybody else come across this?

Run the heat trace outside of the PVC pipe.,

second thing .,

How deep this pvc drain pipe is in and pitched correct ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Run the heat trace outside of the PVC pipe.,

second thing .,

How deep this pvc drain pipe is in and pitched correct ?

Pipe is 5’ under a lumber yard asphalt slab, is 4” and draining properly when it’s not frozen. Raychem rep says to go ahead and use GM-2X line? Guess I will

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pipe is 5’ under a lumber yard asphalt slab, is 4” and draining properly when it’s not frozen. Raychem rep says to go ahead and use GM-2X line? Guess I will

If the drain is 5' under ground, what is your frost line?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the drain is 5' under ground, what is your frost line?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Normally 3-4’ here under regular conditions, but in a high traffic area it can get to 8’!

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
Put self reg inside the pipe but go to a manufacturer's website to check out maximum run length and circuit breaker size. 240V cable most likely.

·
Chief Flunky
1,611 Posts
Sewage plants call it I&I. Rain can easily overload and overflow a wastewater plant. Older systems in the US ran them together. Newer systems separate them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Test
6,107 Posts
It took a while to digest why we call the **** sewer a "sanitary" sewer. It creates sanitary conditions in the buildings which they are connected to.

And storm sewer doesn't sound as clean as it is, because of the word sewer. But that's what we call it in the code books.

Our city has a marina. They call it the City Yacht Basin. To me a basin is something my mother handed me when I was sick so I could vomit in it. I'd much rather see the city marina called the "City Marina". But I'm not on city council.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts