Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating coils' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P. So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?

·
Senile Member
30,706 Posts
I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating could' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P.

So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?

What are you going to do for disconnecting means at each unit?, and does the nameplate call for fuse's?

·
Senile Member
30,706 Posts
Land your 8's in a small load center and let each set of heat strips have their own breaker.
That is what I was getting too, but first I wanted to see if the op realized he cannot just terminate a tap into an appliance.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
26-806 Heating equipment rated 117 kW and less

(4) The branch circuit shall be permitted to be tapped as necessary to supply the various pieces of associated equipment, but there shall be no overcurrent protection supplied in the tap to any piece of associated equipment the operation of which is essential to the proper operation of the heating unit, unless the control equipment is of such a nature that the heating unit will be shut down if the associated equipment fails to function due to the operation of the overcurrent device.

I was reading this in the code and was thinking this would apply. Each piece of equipment should come with it's own disconnect or install one, but I wasn't thinking of fusing each one after the tap. Unless this code doesn't apply.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating could' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P.

So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?
What kind of drawing. Obviously no cable schedule or any detail, I will assume. I am not getting what a 'heating could' is, is this a typo?

I can assume you are using the CEC. :thumbsup:

Borgi

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Heating coils' sorry, I'm using the CEC/Ontario code. These drawings are from an Engineer.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
'Heating coil' sorry, I'm using the CEC/Ontario code. These drawings are from an Engineer.
Try Section 62. Many options.

If you could tell us the type of heating unit it is, that would be helpful. If you have that info available.

Borgi

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Borgi.

Now I'm looking to see if I need disconnects near by, they'll probably be on these units when they arrive anyway.

62-114 (4) Where two or more fixtures, cable sets, heating panel sets, or parallel heating sets are grouped on a single branch circuit, the non-heating leads of cable sets and taps to cable sets, fixtures, and strip systems shall
(a) have an ampacity not less than one-third the rating of the branch circuit overcurrent device; and
(b) be not more than 7.5 m in length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts