Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am A Liccnesed Electrician Located In New York. I Am Currently Looking Into Purchasing A "mr Electric" Franchise. Does Anyone Know Anything About It. I Had Previously Owned A Commerical Electrical Contracting Company.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
What I know of the franchise concept can make a LOT of sense in certain circumstances and damned little in many others. One of those others would be a state with very little oversight of licensing and irrational permits and inspection processes where just about any idiot with a 6' ladder and a pair of kleins can call himself an electrician.

Any of that ring a bell?

Welcome to the forum.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Ummm.... did anyone look real close at the OPs greeting? :laughing:

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
Not sure why but for me the Mr. Electric and their chessy logo just seem that, cheesy. And if it makes money it shows you what I know!

·
Registered
625 Posts
How many letters in hello? :rolleyes:
I saw that, but figgured he was just discussed from posting on 'that other forum', and he would give this one a tumble :laughing:

Brian,
First I had to worry about the kibitzers here, now it is the spelling police.

BTW gptechelec,
welcome to the forum.

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for input. the franchise investment is about $30,000. it does not seem like a lot of money. There are over 150 franchise locations in the US. the system must work. I am just scared to death of opening business in this economy. Any other suggestions or comments about Mr. Electric?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,753 Posts
What I know of the franchise concept can make a LOT of sense in certain circumstances and damned little in many others. One of those others would be a state with very little oversight of licensing and irrational permits and inspection processes where just about any idiot with a 6' ladder and a pair of kleins can call himself an electrician.

Any of that ring a bell?
YEAH. Sounds just like NY.

thanks for input. the franchise investment is about $30,000. it does not seem like a lot of money. There are over 150 franchise locations in the US. the system must work. I am just scared to death of opening business in this economy. Any other suggestions or comments about Mr. Electric?
Welcome!

$30k does not seem like a lot??? Man, can I borrow a few thousand?
150 franchises means it works? That is a National average of THREE per state. That does NOT seem like very many to me. Tell me there are 150 per state and I might consider it successful.

I see Mr.Electric and I also think CHEESY!

MANY areas of NYS are booming right now. Some are dead. If you are good and can prove to your customers that you are better than the average handyman you can easily make it work without the help of Mr. Electric.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
YEAH. Sounds just like NY.

Welcome!

150 franchises means it works? That is a National average of THREE per state. That does NOT seem like very many to me. Tell me there are 150 per state and I might consider it successful.

MANY areas of NYS are booming right now. Some are dead. If you are good and can prove to your customers that you are better than the average handyman you can easily make it work without the help of Mr. Electric.
I agree with that for the most part and also I realize somepeople don't have what it takes to run a business on thier own and need some help. But, I also think it's pretty cheesy and don't think $30k is a small investment without proof positive up front of a sucessful system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[.

I AGREE THAT I CAN PROBABLY START A VIABLE RESIDENTIAL SERVICE COMPANY WITHOUT MR ELECTRIC. HOWEVER, I WOULD PROBABLY SPEND WELL OVER $30,000 TRIAL AND ERROR WITH DIFFERENT ADVERTISING. I HAVE BEEN A COMMERCIAL ELECTRICAN ALL MY LIFE (UNION). I HAVE ALWAYS DONE RESIDENTIAL ON THE SIDE. MY THOUGHT WAS FRANCHISE COULD HELP ME WITH THAT PART OF BUSINESS. I HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE A BAD INVESTMENT, AS I START TRAINING NEXT MONTH FOR FRANCHISE. WHAT I AM HOPING FOR IS TO USE MR ELECTRIC FOR RESIDENTIAL CASH FLOW AND CONTINUE TO DO SOME COMMERICAL JOBS ALSO.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE, I DID NOT MEAN TO SOUND COCKY WHEN I SAID $30,000 IS NOT A LOT OF MONEY. COMPARED TO SOME OF THE COMMERICAL PROJECTS (SEVERAL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS DOLLARS) IT REALLY IS NOT A LOT. HELL, 500 MCM COPPER IS $9.00 FOOT RIGHT NOW, GAS IS $4.30 HERE IN NEW YORK

Welcome!

MANY areas of NYS are booming right now. Some are dead. If you are good and can prove to your customers that you are better than the average handyman you can easily make it work without the help of Mr. Electric.[/quote]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey NY,
Welcome to the forum. I too have been considering the same franchise for quite sometime. Matter of fact, that's how I stumbled onto this site. I've done alot of research and gathered lots of opinions too. I've also talked to several Mr. E owners and some former owners. The opinions are everywhere.
I don't think it's for everyone but I do believe it can be the difference in real success or not for some guys. A guy with a McDonald's franchise isn't any less a person because he doesn't sell burgers out of his truck. It just means he's found another way to maybe achieve his goal.
As far as $30K goes, it's pretty low for a business start up, assuming you've got tools and a good truck. I know folks that spend that or more for a vehicle every other year. I know I've learned harder lessons and never owned a new truck!
As far as the name Mr. Electric, it does sound kinda cheesy but I believe it works for the customer base they're targeting. I would imagine Roto-Rooter was much like that in the beginning. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss further or compare notes.

Mike
[email protected]
Ms/Ala Maintenance Service

1 - 18 of 18 Posts