Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Apprentice, mostly commercial.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’ve been frequenting this lovely forum for the past year and a half and have learned a great deal from it, so thanks for keeping this place well moderated and informative. I’m just a stupid apprentice with about a year and a half of commercial experience. With that said, I do wish to seek advice from those of you with more experience than me. For the sake of ease I’ll put my question up front; is there enough in the field to keep me occupied mastering my trade or will I cap out early?

For some background, I’m at a point now where I’m starting to regularly out-produce the journeymen on site. Its not just a case of having mediocre at best journeymen as this was starting to happen when I was with the union working with some pretty good guys about six months ago. This has led me to start worrying that I’ll cap out and reach my peak within the next five or so years. After that, while I will of course still have things to learn, due to age I can only see my productivity declining. This has led me to wonder if I should pursue electrical engineering instead of being an electrician. I do have a free college education at my disposal. My thinking is that I don’t want to max out in my twenties in terms of productivity and thus I ought to look for and possibly peruse other career paths. I don’t want to continue a path that will provide me with no real challenge as I believe that to be a weak choice that I will regret in the long term.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
If we polled everyone on the forum, it would be 50/50 go to school vs. not.
My opinion is go to school. Do it now or you'll never do it.

·
Registered
Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
16 Posts
There are so many specialty offshoots in the trade that will help you immensely in the future. There is always going to be a challenge if you're looking for it.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,161 Posts
Welcome from northern Nevada.

The only 2 EEs that I've worked with who had actual field experience (out of maybe 30 or so) are FAR better than those who have never worked with actual tools. Way far better.

As far as capping out, you'll do that in any field but I think you'll cap out as an engineer before you will as a journeyman.

As a journeyman, there are a number different things you can get into, if you find one you enjoy, stick with it.

·
Registered
31,745 Posts
51 years in the trade, I am at the top of my field and I have not peaked out. I think you are thinking way too highly of your skills.

You will never know it all.
When you think you are the best you will find someone better and prove you wrong.
You started out saying you are a stupid apprentice then you claim superiority WHICH IS IT.

·
Registered
Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
16 Posts
Also you should concentrate on getting ready for your journeymen's test and learning how to use a code book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts