Electrician Talk banner

Hello and a starting question

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Idaho Abe 
#1 ·
Alright, well, ill be honest and say im not a electrician, but it's a trade im interested in, im a simple teenager in high school. - Which is why i won't be posting much, considering your rules forbid it, but...your the only place i can really find a straightfoward answer to my problem. (Note: I've been reading this site for a few weeks, just never registered because it said "For Professional Electricians Only" - But, i really need help now, so im turning to you all one time.:)

I was stupid as a Freshman. I didn't really care about my grades in Algebra and i got a C - C - D - B (Semesters) Than, right after that i realized i wanted to possibly be an Electrician, Ironic?

Now, i was thinking of joining up with the IBEW, but they said something along the lines of a C in Algebra. I got a D! :eek: But..it was just one semester, i know there has too be some way around this?

Heck, i've even been an Electricians helper for about 4 months (Will continue to be also) and have taken a pre-aptitude test, and studies Electronics/Mechanicle Drawings. And next year im taking a lot of classes that have to do with this trade (In-directly, of course) and will be studying Mechanicle Drawing/Electronic/Electicity UT classes when i become a junior and senior (Get out 4 hours of school early to go there, and still get credits! Holy Crud?!)

I know that one D would not permit this? Right...right?! Im just a tad nervous, but i have a right too be, considering i wanted to join the Navy and enter the field, but i can't, because i had ONE...yes, ONE sign of asthma problems when i was 13! I even begged to my recruitor, and the only thing he said was to lie. I prefer to not have a dishonourable discharge, thank you very much.

Anyway, back on subject, hello, and please, any advice or help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what you posted you passed the course with a "C" average but, you still have a long way to go. Take all core classes seriously and strive for the highest grade your capable of no slacking. Take additional math and science classes along with the vocational classes. In your senior year take some night classes at the local community/voc tech school.

#6 · (Edited)
From what you posted you passed the pre requ.for the site.
But..If we catch you lying.......:mad:.

Get on it, bring up the grades and do as advised above,math and science.

You are where I was at 22 (see rics avatar? that was me)(and others I'm sure)so stick with it and buckle down now.

Welcome and good luck!!:thumbsup:

#7 ·
From what you posted you passed the pre requ.for the site.
But..If we catch you lying.......:mad:.

Get on it, bring up the grades and do as advised above,math and science.

You are where I was at 22 (see rics avatar? that was me)(and others I'm sure)so stick with it and buckle down now.

Welcome and good luck!!:thumbsup:
Really? I could of sworn it said professional only, which is why i wanted quick answers before i got out of here for being in trouble(And just went back to reading the topics, wishing i could reply)! :cry:

Another quick question: How is scienced involved with Electricians? I've read this on numerous webpages but never really understood exactly what the actual mixture of them where.

#8 ·
__Heck, i've even been an Electricians helper for about 4 months (Will continue to be also) and have taken a pre-aptitude test, and studies Electronics/Mechanicle Drawings. And next year im taking a lot of classes that have to do with this trade (In-directly, of course) and will be studying Mechanicle Drawing/Electronic/Electicity UT classes when i become a junior and senior (Get out 4 hours of school early to go there, and still get credits! Holy Crud?!)---

You are showing an honest effort!:thumbsup:

Science: Search the forum for ground,bond etc.. Good place to start,GFCI etc.
A lot of science and math in this field.

I have found over the years,when someone has been doing something for a long time you listen.If it does not sound right you question.Then you listen.

#11 ·
Fire off, I thank all of you for your replies :)
Secondly,

_You are showing an honest effort!:thumbsup:

Science: Search the forum for ground,bond etc.. Good place to start,GFCI etc.
A lot of science and math in this field.

I have found over the years,when someone has been doing something for a long time you listen.If it does not sound right you question.Then you listen.
Ironically, I've always understood Math/Algebra, it came easy to me, but i never really 'liked it' - is that something that i should 'like' to be in this field? Or some secondary characteristic that i should just beable to perform? As for science, im not too great at it. Aw... heck, i get the basic ideas of it but never really studied into it too much ,just took normal science classes always passing with a B (Usually i didn't even try..it was just so easy.) So i never really paid much attention too it, i guess i should start paying more into that than ive been huh? I could easily get an A in science if i actually tried. But i never remember what they teach, thats the problem

I did same thing, only I had to take another year of high school to graduate:mad:...
I'm going to a community / technical college for "construction electricity". Its good to learn theory, and the basics before you apply to the union. The union here waives some requirements, like having a semester of algebra, and also start you out at 2nd year pay if you have a 2 year degree in electrical.
What local 292 says is "one full credit of high school basic algebra with a passing grade (C or higher), or one post-secondary algebra course." So just one of those C is all they care about.
I also had the same thing with Army instead of the Navy, I got a 94% overall on the ASVAB (which I took just to get out of class), I finally decided to go into the Army after I was done with high school. I hurt myself, had to get pins in my hand, and when I went to MEPS to go to basic they disqualified me, and the recruiting station commander was too lazy to get a waiver for me.
From what I got this is a place to learn and talk about the trade, for those that are in it and those that are trying to get in to it... what they don't want someone asking a DiY question like, "How do I hook up two switches to control one light," or "how can I do this so I don't have to call an electrician."
Another whole year? Ouch. I would hate to do that!
And thank you for the Union info, i think i may try to look it up, or talk to my school counselor so she can contact them for me. That might work..worth a shot, right?

Go to this site and start at volume I, it will teach you and show you why you need science and math. You do know that hamburger
comes from cows and not Mcdonalds right?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/
I was guessing Hardees. Darn! :censored:
But seriously, thank you for the link, haven't visited yet, but i will after i get something to eat for sure :)

#9 ·
Welcome

I did same thing, only I had to take another year of high school to graduate:mad:...

I'm going to a community / technical college for "construction electricity". Its good to learn theory, and the basics before you apply to the union. The union here waives some requirements, like having a semester of algebra, and also start you out at 2nd year pay if you have a 2 year degree in electrical.

What local 292 says is "one full credit of high school basic algebra with a passing grade (C or higher), or one post-secondary algebra course." So just one of those C is all they care about.

I also had the same thing with Army instead of the Navy, I got a 94% overall on the ASVAB (which I took just to get out of class), I finally decided to go into the Army after I was done with high school. I hurt myself, had to get pins in my hand, and when I went to MEPS to go to basic they disqualified me, and the recruiting station commander was too lazy to get a waiver for me.

From what I got this is a place to learn and talk about the trade, for those that are in it and those that are trying to get in to it... what they don't want someone asking a DiY question like, "How do I hook up two switches to control one light," or "how can I do this so I don't have to call an electrician."

#10 · (Edited)
Another quick question: How is scienced involved with Electricians? I've read this on numerous webpages but never really understood exactly what the actual mixture of them where.[/quote]

Go to this site and start at volume I, it will teach you and show you why you need science and math.:thumbup: You do know that hamburger
comes from cows and not Mcdonalds right?:eek:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

#14 ·
The term "professional" applies to those who would make a living at this trade, as opposed to someone attempting a DIY project, who are sent elsewhere. :blink:

Since you have already been working at least 4 months in the trade (we assume you got paid for those hours), that makes you qualified to engage in pertinent discussions in places like this. :thumbsup:

I congratulate you for realizing early enough in your lifetime that certain changes made now can have significant positive effect in your career later. Many of us wasted our high school years doing stupid stuff, only to realize later we could have/SHOULD have made better use of our time. :whistling2:

5 years from now, you will be 5 years older than you are right now, but you will also be much further ahead in your career efforts by being serious about your education while you are still in high school.

While that one bad grade may appear to be a black mark on your permanent record, you still have lots of time to show you are capable of better grades and performance, and that will count. And, you might even remember a thing or 3 from those classes that will be useful later on in life. :)

Don't be afraid to excel in school, or engage in independent study of things electrical. Get yourself a current Code book and start learning some of the rules we have to follow in this trade. Things like that.

Keep us informed about your progress. And don't be afraid to jump in and ask questions. That is how we learn. :yes:

#15 ·
I agree with KBsparky- you are on the proper path to a good career.
Do Not be afraid to jump in on the conversations here. Please feel free to ask for clarifications if your confused about a certain topic, just don't come across as a do-it-yourselfer. If you do as you did in your opening post you will find that this site can be a wonderful place.

I have been on other forums that have a few high schoolers posting and they are taken serious as you will be also.

One of the best ways to learn is to ask,listen,and ask some more.

Oh By the way - WELCOME to the forum, I look forward to reading your posts and comments.

#17 ·
For the record I got a D in HS Algrebra, F in Geomerty second time a D. I barely graduated high school. ACE all those classes in college through calculus. But that was a long time after I had obtained my Masters.

Point is if you work hard in reality you can get by without good grades, BUT apprentice ship programs want good grades. So hit it hard. Try a summer course at the local community college as Bryan said.

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised that no one mentioned the hazing ritual for newbies yet....

#20 ·
Im sorry to bring back this old topic, but I didn't think making a thread would be nessecary for a couple questions.

1. I live in USA. I have decided when i get older my most likely prospective will be moving to Canada. Does that mean i should get training in Canada, or could i get it here from IBEW first and still be able to carry my trade over there, without too much hassle? (If possible, i would much rather be trained in US than find job in Canada)

2. Does the job make me think? I have average physical skills, but I've already decided I want a job that will test my knowledge of the skill and common sense (Horrible, i know!).

#21 ·
2. Does the job make me think? I have average physical skills, but I've already decided I want a job that will test my knowledge of the skill and common sense (Horrible, i know!).
Yes, this job will make you use the grey matter, if you want it to.

There are certainly people who work in this trade that don't want to think, and have no discernable common sense, but the better electricians are always learning, and realize their most important tool is the brain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.