Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a 32 year old southern california resident. i have been unemployed for over a year now and on disability before that... i know... it realy sucks right..lol.. any way. i would like to know if at my age i could still do the apprentice program. i have 5 years experiance in installing Directv and have been doing some low volt. work lately to make ends meet. pls let me know what u all think ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty william1978. Now that i know i am not too old, I just need to go and get my GED and try to find company that would hire me. Does anyone know of a company in the Inland Empire California willing to hire helpers/Apprentice. I have already applied on line to a couple of places but any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Ty william1978. Now that i know i am not too old, I just need to go and get my GED and try to find company that would hire me. Does anyone know of a company in the Inland Empire California willing to hire helpers/Apprentice. I have already applied on line to a couple of places but any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are companys out there that will hire you .
At 32 you are a young punk :laughing: just kidding of course :laughing:
You can get in work as hard as you can,,, and in four years you can get a license the hardest part is being a helper//coffie black no "B*** S**T":laughing:
But you can do it and dont let anyone tell you you can't:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello. I am a 32 year old southern california resident. i have been unemployed for over a year now and on disability before that... i know... it realy sucks right..lol.. any way. i would like to know if at my age i could still do the apprentice program. i have 5 years experiance in installing Directv and have been doing some low volt. work lately to make ends meet. pls let me know what u all think ...

Click this link..http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

Click this link..http://www.dir.ca.gov/das/das.html

OH and Welcome to the forum:)

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,003 Posts
I think i have you all beat, my oldest apprentice was 62! Yes, that's not a mistake he was actually 62 when the company had him go to the ministry and sign his apprenticeship papers

I was 32 at the time. I'm glad that I had met him, he actually taught me lots about hate.2.b.unMplyd 's previous industry of satellites and we're still great friends even though the job is finished and we live over 4 hours away from each other.

Go for it, like it was mentioned before- you're still a youngin, lol.

Mod

·
√-1 2³ Σ π
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your looking for an apprenticeship program.:thumbsup:

·
Ayuh
1,112 Posts
It's never to late to learn, don't let anybody discourage you either. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I went off to attend electrician school at the old age of 35. You have NO problem with age. You mentioned that you have a GED. If you did not finish high school, you may have some difficulties with the academic part of the apprenticeship. Did you have Algebra and Trigonometry in the years that you did attend high school? How is your reading comprehension? Depending where you are in these areas, it may behoove you to take some brush up courses at a community college.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i am actualy in adult school to get the GED and after i will go to a CC to take an algebra class. but i gues i have more problems than i thought..lol i have a refusal to test on my DMV record and a DUI case thrown out.. i was never ask to test and not even given a road side sobriety test..lol i got cought at a chk point and sent to county jail. it will be almost 2 years when this took place. would it still affect me joining the ibew or ABC ?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
well i am actualy in adult school to get the GED and after i will go to a CC to take an algebra class. but i gues i have more problems than i thought..lol i have a refusal to test on my DMV record and a DUI case thrown out.. i was never ask to test and not even given a road side sobriety test..lol i got cought at a chk point and sent to county jail. it will be almost 2 years when this took place. would it still affect me joining the ibew or ABC ?
It sure won't help, but in recent years I'm coming to the conclusion that the person who DOESN'T have a DUI on their record is the odd duck. It's sort of sad, actually. Talked to a guy the other day that got his license back for the first time in 17 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems that the more i look into the programs, the more i find road blocks. I am not one to give up so i will continue with the GED classes and then do the College Algebra semester required. If i am not accepted to either program is there an alternative?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
If i am not accepted to either program is there an alternative?
Suicide, perhaps? :laughing:

No, seriously, I'm sure could just get a job as a helper and work your way up like so many other guys, and try your hand at getting into an apprenticeship program again in a few years.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
It sure won't help, but in recent years I'm coming to the conclusion that the person who DOESN'T have a DUI on their record is the odd duck. It's sort of sad, actually. Talked to a guy the other day that got his license back for the first time in 17 years.

I've got two in my history in different states, 11 years apart. Luckily, the second time, the first offense did not show up on my record.:whistling2: After that second one, I gave up drinking altogether. It has been four years. If you drink and drive, even occasionaly, you WILL get caught sooner or later. Most people who are regular drinkers drive that way occasionaly, especially when they are home and run out of it.:laughing:

Sometimes I wonder if the majority of guys don't have one by the time they are 40? I don't think it carries the stigma that it did at one time because they are so common.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
so in my experience most employers ask for a 3 year dmv print out. is it the same for the ibew/abc ?

I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer that for you. I am not union, I'm a small one man outfit in the sticks.

It looks to me like you need to look at this as a more long term goal. Keep moving in that direction with classes and STUDY HARD. After algebra you need some geometry and trig. You already have a few strikes against you, so be at the top of your class in these areas.

Are you employed at all right now? If you need work, you may have to take what you can get, things a hard right now. Maybe you can get a helper position that would be a start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am retired after 35 years....never went through the apprenticeship....had to go to school (night) to learn (28yrs old) now 78 years old. I had some experence before school.....but learned one thing....and that was...IF you really want to be an Electrician and a good one.....you must be very determend to "get in"....yes, I was Union...but was discouraged in every way to start with....so you must fight to get a start and go from there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts