Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New here. I am from Muskegon, MI. I have about 8 years in the Maintenance field and just hired into a new shop about 7 months ago as a maintenance tech. I will admit electricity is not something I have dealt with much in the last 8 years as the last 2 shops I worked in had a designated electrician. Well now that it is ALL in my hands I am learning quickly the ins and outs of electrical and electricity. Mainly running conduit and pulling wire. I am in the middle of my first real solo panel/control build contains 6 starters, 2 transformers (technically 3 I have one going from 480 to 380 one for 480 to 230 and one for the 480 to 24v DC) I know those are odd numbers here in the US but this is for a Chinese laser cutter. Most of it is day 1 stuff for most of you guys but bending the conduit gave me a quick run for my money with some of the intricate (well to me at least) off sets. I did however learn of a GREAT tool in the Uglys book. (again something I am sure all of you are aware of but to me it was new)

Well I found this site via a Google Search in looking for some new tools IE conduit cutter and reamer and a few new insulated screwdrivers.... I was actually looking for input on better ways to cut conduit but I think I will stick with my trusty Rigid tubing cutter and just make sure you keep reaming the cut.... I am here mainly as a sponge for now to just soak up as much as I can and still offer input in the areas I feel I can offer a valid opinion....

Thanks for the GREAT site to those that help make it a GREAT tool and source of information....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also just picked up a new multimeter and will be looking for info on that... My old Craftsman started to give HORRIBLE readings that were WAY WAY off so I tossed it in the trash and ordered a Fluke 117.... I know I know not made in USA but for now it was the best I could afford and still order the bender and cutter and handful of other tools I wanted....

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Miller6386 said:
Hey guys. New here. I am from Muskegon, MI. I have about 8 years in the Maintenance field and just hired into a new shop about 7 months ago as a maintenance tech. I will admit electricity is not something I have dealt with much in the last 8 years as the last 2 shops I worked in had a designated electrician. Well now that it is ALL in my hands I am learning quickly the ins and outs of electrical and electricity. Mainly running conduit and pulling wire. I am in the middle of my first real solo panel/control build contains 6 starters, 2 transformers (technically 3 I have one going from 480 to 380 one for 480 to 230 and one for the 480 to 24v DC) I know those are odd numbers here in the US but this is for a Chinese laser cutter. Most of it is day 1 stuff for most of you guys but bending the conduit gave me a quick run for my money with some of the intricate (well to me at least) off sets. I did however learn of a GREAT tool in the Uglys book. (again something I am sure all of you are aware of but to me it was new) Well I found this site via a Google Search in looking for some new tools IE conduit cutter and reamer and a few new insulated screwdrivers.... I was actually looking for input on better ways to cut conduit but I think I will stick with my trusty Rigid tubing cutter and just make sure you keep reaming the cut.... I am here mainly as a sponge for now to just soak up as much as I can and still offer input in the areas I feel I can offer a valid opinion.... Thanks for the GREAT site to those that help make it a GREAT tool and source of information....
Nothing beats a portaband for cutting pipe.

Tool Power tool Machine

Well, unless you have one of these.

Machine Tool Bandsaws Moulder Machine tool

Just not as portable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a band saw but it's in the front of the plant. Takes me longer to walk up there and cut it than it would to just cut it. For the little I cut I just justify the cost right now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys. New here. I am from Muskegon, MI. I have about 8 years in the Maintenance field and just hired into a new shop about 7 months ago as a maintenance tech. I will admit electricity is not something I have dealt with much in the last 8 years as the last 2 shops I worked in had a designated electrician. Well now that it is ALL in my hands I am learning quickly the ins and outs of electrical and electricity. Mainly running conduit and pulling wire. I am in the middle of my first real solo panel/control build contains 6 starters, 2 transformers (technically 3 I have one going from 480 to 380 one for 480 to 230 and one for the 480 to 24v DC) I know those are odd numbers here in the US but this is for a Chinese laser cutter. Most of it is day 1 stuff for most of you guys but bending the conduit gave me a quick run for my money with some of the intricate (well to me at least) off sets. I did however learn of a GREAT tool in the Uglys book. (again something I am sure all of you are aware of but to me it was new)

Well I found this site via a Google Search in looking for some new tools IE conduit cutter and reamer and a few new insulated screwdrivers.... I was actually looking for input on better ways to cut conduit but I think I will stick with my trusty Rigid tubing cutter and just make sure you keep reaming the cut.... I am here mainly as a sponge for now to just soak up as much as I can and still offer input in the areas I feel I can offer a valid opinion....

Thanks for the GREAT site to those that help make it a GREAT tool and source of information....
Welcome aboard:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts