Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The name is Ralph. Been in the trade for almost 4yrs. I'm a couple months away from taking my J-Man test. Does this forum have any type of training section? I'm planning on attending IEC journeyman prep but would like to start getting some knowledge in. I never went to school, pretty much learned from experience so I didnt learn technical terms but any help you guys are willing to share would be very much appreciated. Well hope to learn alot here and meet some good electricians.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks, i will look into it. I havent submitted paperwork to TDLR yet, I am waiting for my employer to give me a count of my hours which I may have with all the overtime Ive gotten.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Awesome thanks, i will look into it. I havent submitted paperwork to TDLR yet, I am waiting for my employer to give me a count of my hours which I may have with all the overtime Ive gotten.

Then start studying hard, now.

I used that book and took the practice tests over and over. They really are the closest thing you'll find to the Texas state license. Once I consistently scored 80 and above (and within the allotted time per test) I pulled the trigger and took the real exam. I passed on the first try with an 82.

Then again, I've had formal schooling and references that helped me when I got stumped.

Who do you work for? What kind of work do you do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work for FSG Electric. Im in new construction. I did 3 yrs of electrical service work. I wanted to learn pipe bending and switch gears before i got my license.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Cool, are you guaranteed a raise once you obtain your license? Or are you prepping for greener pastures?

If you're on prevailing wage jobs they'll be required to pay you scale no matter what your normal rate of pay is once you have your license.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
The name is Ralph. Been in the trade for almost 4yrs. I'm a couple months away from taking my J-Man test. Does this forum have any type of training section? I'm planning on attending IEC journeyman prep but would like to start getting some knowledge in. I never went to school, pretty much learned from experience so I didnt learn technical terms but any help you guys are willing to share would be very much appreciated. Well hope to learn alot here and meet some good electricians.

Hello Ralph,Welcome aboard...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah we are guaranteed a raise. I've been waiting for my time to come up. Wish I would have went to a tech school but I jumped at the chance for a good paying job even though I was green.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts