Electrician Talk banner

Hello from Glendale, AZ

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Jlarson 
#1 ·
Ive been lurking on this site for a while, I love the antique forum.
Its also one of the few electrical forms that has a place for guys like me, the plc forum.

A bit about me. I was always good at taking apart electrical and electronic things, even as a kid. After high school, I went to trade school, and learned electronics and "electromechanical" technologies. After that, I went to work in some TV stations in Nebraska. I liked working in Television, but I did not like the job insecurity. Along the way I found that industrial electrical and electronics was rather fun, especially designing new control systems for new machines, and making old plants more efficient. I learned as much as I could every chance I got, and Ive been in manufacturing ever since. Its gotten to the point where plant engineers turn stuff over to me and let me run with it. Last week I replaced a 125 HP DC motor with a 150 HP AC motor and Yaskawa F7 drive. This is the 6th one Ive done. When I started at this plant, the engineers told me I could not run a plastic extruder with a AC motor. Not enough torque. Well wrong. So about after the fourth one, word spread around the company, and I got a call from our brother plant in Darlington, SC. Thier electrician had questions about my setup. Thats high praise in my world. I also had fun replaceing High Pressure Sodium lights with T5 flourescants. That project paid for itself the 1st 7 months of operation. So last week my boss was talking about adding another extrusion line. This means a 600 amp feed. He's getting bids from outside contractors, but Id be a shiney new dime I will be putting in that feed. I just turned 42. Im not afriad of big wires and conduit (done that plenty of times along the way), but my shoulders aint what they used to be. Doc says I have AC joint arthritis. Common he says. I suppose we all get older. So maybe some outside guy can do the big stuff this time.

Like I said, I love plcs, drives, controls, touchpanels, ethernet controls, etc. I dont make a lot working by the hour however. So I talked with my new wife, and Im going to the ROC next year to see what licenses I can get, (qualify for) so I can take my show on the road. Im a little scared about being my own boss, (because I cant sell a coat to an eskimo) but my wife says she can help with that. So there's a part of me that is excited too. So Ive been reading the business forums here on the webiste, and its been a help too.

Love this site.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.