Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone here.

I'm a fellow electrician,born in Hamilton - Ontario and moved to Greece in 1981.

I love what I do and have been at it from 16 years old.I've decided to come back and to continue in Canada and to be more specific,in Toronto, as I have some relatives that will accommodate me.

I know it's difficult,regarding codes,general wiring and symbols (as they are completely different here) and the construction material of houses but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I probably have to start from "scratch" as my knowledge is not applicable
in Canada.

Any help would be helpful!

:)

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
Welcome malestrom

personally, the only thing i know about Greece is all the bad news i'm reading going down there

That said, we do have a contingent of Euro-sparkies , albeit a tad scarce, that could accommodate you

~CS~

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome, I am about to get on a plane in a few hours and head to Santorini Greece. Going to spend a couple of weeks there with the family.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Hellas. welcome

Reactions: malestrom

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello to everyone here.

I'm a fellow electrician,born in Hamilton - Ontario and moved to Greece in 1981.

I love what I do and have been at it from 16 years old.I've decided to come back and to continue in Canada and to be more specific,in Toronto, as I have some relatives that will accommodate me.

I know it's difficult,regarding codes,general wiring and symbols (as they are completely different here) and the construction material of houses but I'm willing to give it a shot.

in Canada.

Welcome to ET..:thumbup:

·
Administrator
EC
22,456 Posts
My best friend as a child was Greek- he taught me all the important words. I can now curse in about 8 languages. :laughing:

Welcome to the forum

·
Administrator
EC
22,456 Posts
We do have a Canadian forum so browse thru there and you may find some helpful things.

Reactions: malestrom

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
Hello to everyone here.

in Canada.

Welcome to the ET fourm .,

Of course we do have Canadian section you can able browse it thru to find some of the common question what you are looking for.

Some of the symbols are still the same but not all of them and wiring methold of course it is differnt ( I am used to both North Americian and French wiring metholds )

So therefore let me say one word., Bon Chance !

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey there.i am also new to canada from the uk and i contacted the ministry to do the trade equivalency assessment and then they allowed me to challenge the exam.i found it very useful to do a online pre exam course before i did the test.any questions feel free message me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi All, you talked about the difference between Europe and North America. Out of curiosity, does anybody know about Australia? Is is like Europe or America or a different world?

·
Banned
596 Posts
Hi All, you talked about the difference between Europe and North America. Out of curiosity, does anybody know about Australia? Is is like Europe or America or a different world?
It's mostly British influenced but they use different receptacles than Britain. And of course metric wire sizes and European color codes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's mostly British influenced but they use different receptacles than Britain. And of course metric wire sizes and European color codes.
Thank you. Anyone American who moved to Australia? Would it be difficult to work in Australia after learning the trade and working in the US ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Natan said:
Thank you. Anyone American who moved to Australia? Would it be difficult to work in Australia after learning the trade and working in the US ?
I personally have never been there, but I know someone who has been there for work... He told me all the Aussies are assholes and he's had a hard time fitting in, and the regulations are really strict. He's still there now but might be moving soon.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Hello to everyone here.

in Canada.

Hi malestrom nice to meet you. Like you i'm also a new member of the forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts