Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? Glad to have found this website and eager to participate in the forums. I have been working in the Solar Energy field for about 10 months now. I understand this forum is for professional electricians and although I am still trying to obtain my apprenticeship, I love that there is a site where I can learn more and have feedback from actual electricians. (tool forums and whatnot.

I have worked on every aspect within a solar farm. From pulling trenches to testing and commissioning the fields. I find it rather difficult in Ontario to obtain an apprenticeship and I'm lucky I found a company willing to take me on as a labourer. It has been the same story for months, being told I would be getting one soon but I've survived many layoffs during the winter months so they must keep me for a reason haha

Electrical really is a passion of mine. Since I haven't been able to get signed on and go to school I've done a lot of reading (finding manuals and forums online or buying books on the subject) As cliche as it sounds, Nikola Tesla has always been an idol of mine and probably the main reason why I became fascinated with electricity.

Anywho, I think I've talked enough. Thanks for having me on board and I look forward to learning more from the members here.

Happy Canada Day or Independence Day (whatever you're celebrating this week) :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Where do you live? I grew up in Southern Ontario. Keep working hard and someone will notice you and you'll get your chance. Keep talking to everyone about your dream of becoming an electrician, ya never know who knows who.. another door could open elsewhere.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
How's it going everyone? Glad to have found this website and eager to participate in the forums. I have been working in the Solar Energy field for about 10 months now. I understand this forum is for professional electricians and although I am still trying to obtain my apprenticeship, I love that there is a site where I can learn more and have feedback from actual electricians. (tool forums and whatnot.

I have worked on every aspect within a solar farm. From pulling trenches to testing and commissioning the fields. I find it rather difficult in Ontario to obtain an apprenticeship and I'm lucky I found a company willing to take me on as a labourer. It has been the same story for months, being told I would be getting one soon but I've survived many layoffs during the winter months so they must keep me for a reason haha

Electrical really is a passion of mine. Since I haven't been able to get signed on and go to school I've done a lot of reading (finding manuals and forums online or buying books on the subject) As cliche as it sounds, Nikola Tesla has always been an idol of mine and probably the main reason why I became fascinated with electricity.

Anywho, I think I've talked enough. Thanks for having me on board and I look forward to learning more from the members here.

Happy Canada Day or Independence Day (whatever you're celebrating this week) :thumbsup:
Welcome aboard..:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I am new to this forum as well! :)

It's my understanding that if you are performing " Electrical Work ", your employer MUST register you as an apprentice!

But, good luck with that! ;)

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
In my experience being from Ontario if you work for someone who claims they're "going to" register you for months on end and never does, they aren't going to. Surviving layoffs unfortunately means nothing except that you complained the least. They just want to keep you at low pay as long as they can until you decide you're worth more. I suggest you either force them to register you or start looking for someone who will. The 9000 hour apprenticeship is long enough without having to spend a year working unregistered and unrecorded!

Sorry for the depressing outlook and happy Canada Day!

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,254 Posts
In my experience being from Ontario if you work for someone who claims they're "going to" register you for months on end and never does, they aren't going to.
Totally agree. Recently had a friend go through the same garbage with an employer...He got strung along as "the low voltage guy" all the while doing regular electrician apprentice work. He was told he'd get an apprenticeship. I kept telling him to give the boss a deadline, but he never did. He never ended up with an apprenticeship.

The 9000 hour apprenticeship is long enough without having to spend a year working unregistered and unrecorded!
Yes it is! I suggest giving him a deadline to get you an apprenticeship, or start looking elsewhere. The longer you let him take advantage of you, the less likely he is to get you registered. And the longer you get underpaid.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Morning "BroadFrequency":

Here is a link to the government agency/department that can help you out.

The "Ontario College of Trades" link is about half way down the page.

http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/faq/membership-fee-faqs

http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/postsec/openingdoors/starting.html

The "Safety Codes Act" requires that you be an apprentice, or licensed to work in our trade. ELECTRICIAN. It is a designated trade requiring compulsory certification. Hope I phrased that correctly! ;)

I went through the same crap when I started in Ontario! :mad: I made one phone call to get the ball rolling.

Not trying to get you in trouble, I am trying to help, and protect our trade.

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
782 Posts

welcome to ET sir.i

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.