Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. Currently living on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, Canada. I have been working as a farm manager and general handyman for most of my working life. I am now nearing 40 years old and feeling the need to have a career. I am American born with a Canadian wife and 6 kids.

I recently applied for my immigration into Canada and have been denied. We have to go back to the States. Wondering if those of you already working as electricians could tell me if you think it is a good mid-life career shift. Also, we can relocate to any State and are looking for some advice about where there is work, a decent union and the possibility of getting into an apprenticeship program.

I am completing my Osha 30, First Aid & CPR certification and the NJATC math course, plus some solar courses. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mountain

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I am new to the forum. Currently living on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, Canada. I have been working as a farm manager and general handyman for most of my working life. I am now nearing 40 years old and feeling the need to have a career. I am American born with a Canadian wife and 6 kids.

I recently applied for my immigration into Canada and have been denied. We have to go back to the States. Wondering if those of you already working as electricians could tell me if you think it is a good mid-life career shift. Also, we can relocate to any State and are looking for some advice about where there is work, a decent union and the possibility of getting into an apprenticeship program.

I am completing my Osha 30, First Aid & CPR certification and the NJATC math course, plus some solar courses. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mountain
Welcome aboard..:thumbsup:

Go to North Dakota and you will do well.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Electrician-l-North-Dakota-jobs.html

http://www.indeed.com/q-Oilfield-Electrician-jobs.html

.Good luck..:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
North Dakota

My wife and I have done some research after reading the post about North Dakota. Any suggestions on which IBEW to go with in Dakota? Thanks a lot.

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,908 Posts

How can you be denied permanent residency if your wife is Canadian?

·
Banned
2,507 Posts
wtf

You got a Canadian wife and 6 kids and they didn't accept your application? What the hell did you do to piss them off or red flag your application??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canadian Immigration Issues

Actually, the conservative gov in Canada increased the income requirements and my wife is unable to make the income required to sponsor me. For a family of our size, she needs to make $59,000 per year. In the US, the amount required for me to sponsor my wife is $39,000.

Thanks,

Mountain

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Journeyman Question

Just a thought, but if I were to go to north Dakota, can I speed up the apprentice process by getting my 8000 hours work experience faster while working over time?

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,457 Posts
I don't know about the ND requirements AFAIK, 8000 worked hours is counted as straight time. You could complete your practical part faster, but there is still the schooling part. Here in Manitoba, there is also the start date, ie: start June 1, 2013, then even if your school and hours are complete, you won't get your ticket till June 1, 2017.
From everything we've heard up here, you should be able to land a job in ND, but finding a place to sleep is almost impossible.

·
Registered
782 Posts

wellcome aboard friend.thanks for choosing this forum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts