Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just got my Trainee License this last week and am working towards a 4 year commercial. I do have a question if anyone can advise on this. I just tonight applied for a local boat builder Apprentice Electrician Job. It will be Marine AC/DC. will this be a good move for me wanting to continue on too commercial, and can a boat builder satisfy the WA requirement for commercial? The builder is Nichols Brothers on Whidbey Island.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello,

Just got my Trainee License this last week and am working towards a 4 year commercial. I do have a question if anyone can advise on this. I just tonight applied for a local boat builder Apprentice Electrician Job. It will be Marine AC/DC. will this be a good move for me wanting to continue on too commercial, and can a boat builder satisfy the WA requirement for commercial? The builder is Nichols Brothers on Whidbey Island.
Look here.

Make sure you call them on the phone and make sure your time will count.

Welcome to the forum........:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to the show! I don't know the answer to your question but like the other poster said, make sure your hours working with the boat builder will count- from my understanding they'll have to sign off on your hours once you go to renew your trainee card. Also I think you will have to take electrical-related classes to renew as well.

A good idea may be also to keep a sort of work log for yourself and document the time you've done doing different tasks. They have us do this for the apprenticeship program I'm in- at the end of the day we mark off hours pulling wire, bending pipe, doing rigid :eek: etc. It helps because you can look back and see if there are areas you need more experience in, to become a well-rounded electrician! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the show! I don't know the answer to your question but like the other poster said, make sure your hours working with the boat builder will count- from my understanding they'll have to sign off on your hours once you go to renew your trainee card. Also I think you will have to take electrical-related classes to renew as well.

A good idea may be also to keep a sort of work log for yourself and document the time you've done doing different tasks. They have us do this for the apprenticeship program I'm in- at the end of the day we mark off hours pulling wire, bending pipe, doing rigid :eek: etc. It helps because you can look back and see if there are areas you need more experience in, to become a well-rounded electrician! :thumbup:
Where on the west side are you? I take my CEU's at CCEC try to do all of them in Everett but a few will be in Tacoma. As for the Marine AC/DC the company is registered and will report.

·
Registered
297 Posts
PNWAngler said:
Where on the west side are you? I take my CEU's at CCEC try to do all of them in Everett but a few will be in Tacoma. As for the Marine AC/DC the company is registered and will report.
Actually I'm in the south puget sound area.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome PNWAngler, There are a few of us on this board now from Wa state :), Im from Bellingham but am currently in Iraq right now. I bounce around form Local 191 to Local 46.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello,

I may be wrong here, but I think any hours that are accumulated into another specialty license can go towards your 01. At BTC we're told to do a 02 then start commercial, so I think thats about the same thing.

But, I dont know which specialty license, if any, this would fit into.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I think any hours that are accumulated into another specialty license can go towards your 01. At BTC we're told to do a 02 then start commercial, so I think thats about the same thing.
I think I've heard a similar thing. From the Waashington State site, it seems that as long as you fulfill the requirements for experience, you can become an general journeyman (01)....

http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/LicenseExamEd/LicenseCert/Electrician/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

But, I dont know which specialty license, if any, this would fit into.
They are telling you to have two cards?, this means twice the required CEU's also. I would not take my Journeyman at 2 years unless I had no desire to go commercial or industrial. Someone else with more knowledge may have a better idea but for me this makes no since other then to get Residential Journeyman work, but then if that was it you would not be filling the trainee for commercial.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They are telling you to have two cards?, this means twice the required CEU's also. I would not take my Journeyman at 2 years unless I had no desire to go commercial or industrial. Someone else with more knowledge may have a better idea but for me this makes no since other then to get Residential Journeyman work, but then if that was it you would not be filling the trainee for commercial.
Yea, you'd still have to have your Trainee card, but most of us want to work for ourselves and this lets you achieve that. Just another way of getting your 01.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts