Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I registered onto this site to learn more about the electrical trade.
I'm 18 years old and have wanted to enter the field as an apprentice.
Should I take a industrial electrician course at Humber college? Does it help with the prospect of acquiring an apprenticeship? And if not, how could I enter the trade? Thanks.:)

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the site,

Courses probably won't help you get a job.. but they'll help you relieve your parents bank account and keep you occupied for weeks on end.

Finding an apprenticeship is a tough job.. but can be done. Search this forum for similar questions.. the answers are varied.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Welcome to the site,

Courses probably won't help you get a job.. but they'll help you relieve your parents bank account and keep you occupied for weeks on end.

Finding an apprenticeship is a tough job.. but can be done. Search this forum for similar questions.. the answers are varied.

Huh!:blink:

He's going to need school to qualify for licensing,,,,Right!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi, I registered onto this site to learn more about the electrical trade.
I'm 18 years old and have wanted to enter the field as an apprentice.
Should I take a industrial electrician course at Humber college? Does it help with the prospect of acquiring an apprenticeship? And if not, how could I enter the trade? Thanks.:)
Ask an electrical contractor which school is the proper one for an apprentice.

And welcome to the forum.:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
He's going to need school to qualify for licensing,,,,Right!
Yeah once he gets an apprenticeship, he'll need to go to school.. but you don't need to go to school to get an apprenticeship.

The schools try and convince kids that you do, but you don't.. and by experiences posted on this forum, the pre-apprenticeship training does little to "guarantee" a job.

Ask an electrical contractor which school is the proper one for an apprentice.
Isn't that what he's doing on here? :blink:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Oh Canada.... Welcome to the Forum.

No one can take your education away from you, it's a stocking stuffer.

Sure, Yes go and get down to the hall, Good Luck

Get on with your persuits!!!!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Yeah once he gets an apprenticeship, he'll need to go to school.. but you don't need to go to school to get an apprenticeship.

The schools try and convince kids that you do, but you don't.. and by experiences posted on this forum, the pre-apprenticeship training does little to "guarantee" a job.

Isn't that what he's doing on here? :blink:
Yes,and you're in Canada and could have have given him an answer,instead of the brush off.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
They should make their posts, Thread title, Something - red so some of us Socials won't get all bent when we learn were talking to our brother's and sisters from differnet mothers...

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yes,and you're in Canada and could have have given him an answer,instead of the brush off.
:drink: Have another one Harry, you're still reasonably coherent. :laughing:

Each province regulates their own training, and I'm not in the same province as the OP. I gave my opinion, I don't believe in the pre-apprenticeship programs that schools offer. If that's what he's asking.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
:drink: Have another one Harry, you're still reasonably coherent. :laughing:

Each province regulates their own training, and I'm not in the same province as the OP. I gave my opinion, I don't believe in the pre-apprenticeship programs that schools offer. If that's what he's asking.
Brilliant....

·
Estwing magic
26,781 Posts
He didn't give him the brush off, Harry, he gave him an answer and one that I agree with.

He needs to hit the streets and talk with every electrical contractor in existence in his area. If he did that for eight hours a day for a few months he would be a lot smarter than taking a college course that guarantees nothing.

He should also be talking to general contractors to see if he can get a job as a grunt on a jobsite. That's a better pre-apprenticeship program than any dork in a college can put together.

Once he gets his apprenticeship and puts in his hours, then he goes to school.

·
Estwing magic
26,781 Posts
What if the school finds you an apprenticeship?
and what about the JAC?
Here's the bottom line:

If I am an employer looking to hire a starter, I want a guy who has been out building fences or sweating his balls on site demolition or has spent the last year on the end of a shovel digging ditches. I don't want a guy who has been sitting in class studying electron flow.

I had a GC give me a labourer for a couple of days just to bang in some boxes and pull some home runs. That guy was good. He could swing a hammer and use an impact driver. He started asking me about wire colours and switches and sh!t like that. I recommended him to a couple of EC's I know. I wish I could have used him myself.

If you're looking for a college or pre-apprenticeship program to find you an apprenticeship, good luck. They're trying to place you and how many other students?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts