Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I have been an electrician in the navy for 2.5 years now and I am getting out soon. I have about 2 months left and i'm trying to get an apprenticeship to continue in the trade. Im going home to Corpus Christi TX which is local 278 and they have an NJATC center there. Im looking for advice because I need to be able to start work asap when I get home. Any help would be much appreciated and If anyone could point me in the direction of a forum to place this topic in to get maximum traffic that would help a lot.

Thanks in adavance.

Seadevil10

·
Registered
45 Posts
No need to point in another direction.

If I were you I'd call the union hall and explain to them or if you can go down there(wear your uniform) and explain to them your situation.

Go there with utmost respect and a clear mind. Don't pretend you know everything. Say you're learning as much as you can. Call everyone sir and play the game. Ask to work as a summer helper to start before the apprenticeship actually happens. Since you have experience I would ask to test up into a higher class for more pay. Also the military will pay you to go to apprentice school so that helps.

There's also the helmets to hard hats program. I really see no reason why they wouldn't take you granted it could be a couple of attempts.

If they hear you're a good worker you should have no problem getting in. But remember reputation is everything.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hey everybody,

I have been an electrician in the navy for 2.5 years now and I am getting out soon. I have about 2 months left and i'm trying to get an apprenticeship to continue in the trade. Im going home to Corpus Christi TX which is local 278 and they have an NJATC center there. Im looking for advice because I need to be able to start work asap when I get home. Any help would be much appreciated and If anyone could point me in the direction of a forum to place this topic in to get maximum traffic that would help a lot.

Thanks in adavance.

Seadevil10
Hello Seadevil10; Welcome to the forum and Thank You for your service:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
No need to point in another direction.

If I were you I'd call the union hall and explain to them or if you can go down there(wear your uniform) and explain to them your situation.

Go there with utmost respect and a clear mind. Don't pretend you know everything. Say you're learning as much as you can. Call everyone sir and play the game. Ask to work as a summer helper to start before the apprenticeship actually happens. Since you have experience I would ask to test up into a higher class for more pay. Also the military will pay you to go to apprentice school so that helps.

There's also the helmets to hard hats program. I really see no reason why they wouldn't take you granted it could be a couple of attempts.

If they hear you're a good worker you should have no problem getting in. But remember reputation is everything.
What Rourk Said. You should have no trouble at all getting started because of your service---Thanks again.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts