Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks, I'm in a bit of a rarefied position. Here goes, I'm a sparky in another union. Been with the same employer 17 yrs. Now/soon looking to move to a new position and join ibew. I actually want to the mobile aspect of the career instead of being tied to 1 employer/state/region. So in process (at this point just feeling it out) of switching to ibew and restarting career.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,605 Posts
Welcome to ET

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hey there folks, I'm in a bit of a rarefied position. Here goes, I'm a sparky in another union. Been with the same employer 17 yrs. Now/soon looking to move to a new position and join ibew. I actually want to the mobile aspect of the career instead of being tied to 1 employer/state/region. So in process (at this point just feeling it out) of switching to ibew and restarting career.
Welcome aboard...:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
It has worked for me. Just remember, IBEW stands for I've been everywhere.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do your homework on what state(s) your license reciprocates before dreaming of working anywhere you want. I only say this because here on the Western US, states are pulling reciprocity and implementing their own rules and testing for state licenses. (Yes even California) I'm in Oregon and hit the road in 2008 when the economy tanked. Loaded the car and headed to Washington and worked on a solar silicon plant and a data center. Had to sit for Washington journeyman exam within 90 days of getting temp permit (because I had valid Oregon license). Then headed down to Tx to put a refinery back together after a hurricane wiped it out. Worked there for 9 months and only licensing there was throwing $20 at some guy in the hall that said your now qualified to work here as an apprentice ( uh..ok??)

Also there were other things required depending where u worked. TWIC and OSHA 30 were among them if working any industrial or waterway where terrorists might invade......

Rant finished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts