Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm checking in from the New York City area and glad to be a new member here. I went through the IBEW apprenticeship application process about 10 years ago but turned down the opportunity because I started to second guess making a career change at the time.

I've basically spent the past 12 years working in a retail management and sales job. Although I've always felt the work to be pretty dull and not too fulfilling, it's been a pretty decent job in terms of pay and benefits.

However, ever since the recession, things have started to slowly take a downward path (less staffing, having to wear many different hats every day, more sales pressure, a future outlook that could potentially make my work obsolete due to increasing technology, etc).

All of these changes have led me back to my interest in becoming an electrician and to reapply to the apprenticeship program. Boy oh boy, I wish I had started the IBEW apprenticeship 10 years ago!!

Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. So, now I'm going through the process again at 37.

I was just hoping to get some feedback from others. Do you think I'm too old now to be thinking about becoming an apprentice?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm checking in from the New York City area and glad to be a new member here. I went through the IBEW apprenticeship application process about 10 years ago but turned down the opportunity because I started to second guess making a career change at the time.

I've basically spent the past 12 years working in a retail management and sales job. Although I've always felt the work to be pretty dull and not too fulfilling, it's been a pretty decent job in terms of pay and benefits.

However, ever since the recession, things have started to slowly take a downward path (less staffing, having to wear many different hats every day, more sales pressure, a future outlook that could potentially make my work obsolete due to increasing technology, etc).

All of these changes have led me back to my interest in becoming an electrician and to reapply to the apprenticeship program. Boy oh boy, I wish I had started the IBEW apprenticeship 10 years ago!!

Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. So, now I'm going through the process again at 37.

I was just hoping to get some feedback from others. Do you think I'm too old now to be thinking about becoming an apprentice?

Thanks very much!
Not at all, give em hell. Good luck.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much!
I'm 55 and still working in the field, I wish I was just 37:(

Welcome to ET:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post and for your responses...I appreciate it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts