Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am an IT pro down here in Central Florida. I apologize in advance if I have broken forum rules by joining the site since I am not an electrician but I am just looking for a place that I can ask some questions.

The company I work for is currently going through a remodeling project in our offices and I've noticed that especially in our IT areas (datacenter, wiring rooms, etc) we have to coordinate with electricians to move circuits. This is all simple stuff, i.e. moving and/or extending basic circuits, adding new armored cable runs from existing junction boxes to new light fixtures, etc. It's all stuff that I feel like I could do myself, and have done myself at home. I'm not talking about anything too complex, just your everyday basic stuff. This got me thinking...I was wondering what licensing would be required for me to be legally allowed to do this sort of work and how involved it would be to actually get that licensing.

I did some looking online and was quickly inundated with ads for trade schools trying to sell me training programs. I looked at a website that I believe is the licensing board for my state and it talked about two tests that would have to be passed in order to be licensed, but some other sites (i.e. not specifically related to Florida) mentioned that there are frequently hour requirements (i.e. specific # of hours spent in training and/or on the job). I didn't see any mention of those requirements for Florida, but whether or not there are any is part of my question.

Essentially, what I'm trying to figure out is what I'd need to do in order to be able to do "handyman" level electrical stuff. I was sort of expecting that there might be a night class or two at a local community college that I could take and then go take an exam, but I have no idea and haven't been able to find much online.

Feel free to tell me this is a horrible idea, I'm looking at it from a skills growth standpoint, not necessarily as a way to save money. Hopefully that makes sense. I feel like I already have most of the skills I'd need for what I'm talking about, but this is more of legitimizing them so I can actually do this sort of stuff on a limited basis at work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm sorry, I couldn't continue reading your post after learning you are not an electrician. Also I regret to inform you, that I must report you to the forum authorities. Hope there's no hard feelings

1 - 4 of 4 Posts