Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 26 yrs old. I'm currently living in SC but I still holds residency status from CA. Been in the active duty AF as an electrician for the past 7 years. In a nutshell my job is to maintain the electrical distribution systems on bases I'm station at, I'm on my third base now, as well as bases on deployed location when I deploy. My enlistment is coming to an end this year and I been thinking of getting out and wanting to pursue being a construction electrician. I always see construction projects on all the bases I been too and I would like to get into doing that. Even though I have some electrical experience under my belt I really wouldn't mind going into an apprenticeship program for 5 years, since I don't really have much of a construction experience. I'm hoping I can get much info from this forum to get me going in that direction. One of my first question is there a difference between apprenticeship program through IBEW or ABC? My main concern about joining IBEW is that right now local 776 out of Charleston, SC is the closest one I can try to get into but I'm not sure how it would work once I have to leave SC. My father was a local 3 OE and from what he told me if I switch from one local to another I would lose out on all the years I invested toward retirement and I may or may not be able to switch to another local once I move. So since I'm still going to be moving around should I stay non union until I move into a state that I'm going to settle til I retire? Anyhow I'm looking forward to expand my knowledge through this forum and hope I can pursue being a construction electrician, I love working with my hands and doing electrical work.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I'm 26 yrs old. I'm currently living in SC but I still holds residency status from CA. Been in the active duty AF as an electrician for the past 7 years. In a nutshell my job is to maintain the electrical distribution systems on bases I'm station at, I'm on my third base now, as well as bases on deployed location when I deploy. My enlistment is coming to an end this year and I been thinking of getting out and wanting to pursue being a construction electrician. I always see construction projects on all the bases I been too and I would like to get into doing that. Even though I have some electrical experience under my belt I really wouldn't mind going into an apprenticeship program for 5 years, since I don't really have much of a construction experience. I'm hoping I can get much info from this forum to get me going in that direction. One of my first question is there a difference between apprenticeship program through IBEW or ABC? My main concern about joining IBEW is that right now local 776 out of Charleston, SC is the closest one I can try to get into but I'm not sure how it would work once I have to leave SC. My father was a local 3 OE and from what he told me if I switch from one local to another I would lose out on all the years I invested toward retirement and I may or may not be able to switch to another local once I move. So since I'm still going to be moving around should I stay non union until I move into a state that I'm going to settle til I retire? Anyhow I'm looking forward to expand my knowledge through this forum and hope I can pursue being a construction electrician, I love working with my hands and doing electrical work.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service..:thumbup:

IBEW would be better and you will get retirement benefits, find a state where they are busy all the time....Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you black dog. I am leaning toward joining IBEW. It's just that right now I'm staying in SC for a bit because even though I'm getting out the military, my wife still have a few years on her enlistment n we can't just up and move at the moment. Joining the local down here might not be a good idea for me if we're gonna move again. I'm thinking maybe I can work for the local utility company for the time being, SCE&G (South Carolina Electric & Gas) or BREC (Black River Electric Co) or maybe I can find electrical contractors I can work for in Columbia or Charleston, those are the two big cities around here where I might be able to get my foot in construction world.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are programs for our enlisted men and woman to join unions. I would ask all your questions to someone in this organization and if I was you I would move to an area that is not so anti-union as South Carolina. Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee come to mind as southern states that have a decent union presence if you like the south but as a whole, life is much harder for our union brothers and sisters in the south exception being DC due to politics and misinformation and just plain ignorance. DC would be my choice if you want to remain in the south and with a helmets to hardhats program helping you entry should be easy

https://www.helmetstohardhats.org/jobs/find-jobs/

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Thank you black dog. I am leaning toward joining IBEW. It's just that right now I'm staying in SC for a bit because even though I'm getting out the military, my wife still have a few years on her enlistment n we can't just up and move at the moment. Joining the local down here might not be a good idea for me if we're gonna move again. I'm thinking maybe I can work for the local utility company for the time being, SCE&G (South Carolina Electric & Gas) or BREC (Black River Electric Co) or maybe I can find electrical contractors I can work for in Columbia or Charleston, those are the two big cities around here where I might be able to get my foot in construction world.
Good Luck,,:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
There are programs for our enlisted men and woman to join unions. I would ask all your questions to someone in this organization and if I was you I would move to an area that is not so anti-union as South Carolina. Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee come to mind as southern states that have a decent union presence if you like the south but as a whole, life is much harder for our union brothers and sisters in the south exception being DC due to politics and misinformation and just plain ignorance. DC would be my choice if you want to remain in the south and with a helmets to hardhats program helping you entry should be easy

https://www.helmetstohardhats.org/jobs/find-jobs/

Good Man Mark......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info mark. Good points about some anti-union States down south. Maybe better for me to hold off joining IBEW down here then. Like I mentioned. I'm still gonna move around. I'm from CA and my wife from TX so we more than likely are going to go back to the western side of the states, be closer to family members.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the info mark. Good points about some anti-union States down south. Maybe better for me to hold off joining IBEW down here then. Like I mentioned. I'm still gonna move around. I'm from CA and my wife from TX so we more than likely are going to go back to the western side of the states, be closer to family members.
Thank you for your Service. As for going the path(IBEW)you want to go, look for the busy areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts