Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone came across this forums while googling and wow I am amazed with the wealth of information in this site, cheers to everyone that contributes to the site. About me I have been in the trade for about 8 years doing Robotics (automation) in school in the last few years. I will be done soon and am thinking about venturing on my own. The hardest think I find in doing that is pricing and help there would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome! What Kinda robots you work with? Where you from? Are you in the automotive industry? I work in the packaging industry and have had some experience with kuka robots. Servo driven and has a windows based controllers. We also use Devicenet to interface robot with PLC.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the greetings.

I am from toronto Ontario. I am a licensed electrician. And at present talking automaion and robotics the program is composed of hydrolics pneumatics and PLC its about maintainance and programing robots. But I am more interested in the field of construction and maintainance electrician and would like to start up on my own. so the question was were to learn how to price projects. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Price projects

I would love to give you an easy answer to that, however it takes time. First you have to figure what you are worth. And that takes research. Maybe some more time in the field would be helpful on learning your buisness. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum I hope you can find what you need.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to aall the responses and the welcomes. I have been in the feild for over 8 years but them again i have been going back and forth to school. I know most of the work related to my field but i have always worked for a company. From what I know usually when we get a service call we dont charge a hourly rate but a flat rate like for panel and service upgrade it usually would go for $2000+ depending on the amount of work if calculate hourly it wouldnt be more than 8 hours work for 2 guys and if calculate that way one would lose money. Hope I am clear in what i mean to say.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you go out on your own, be careful. It took me 13 years in the trade before venturing out. I do not have a short answer as to how to price your work. You sort of grow into that. But always Know Your Cost, then add on what you want.

There seems to be several kind of EC owners:
1 - good technically, poor at business
2 - good at business, poor technically
3 - and that rare burd, one who is good at both . . .

Best Wishes Everyone in 2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts