Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting for my first time.

Currently, I'm a CEMEX ready-mix truck driver and looking to cross back over to the learning another construction trade once again, and to have an end-goal to run my own thing.

It seems that I'm splitting hairs between going Electrical vs HVAC-R. I have a better chance in getting into an electrical apprenticeship due it starting in August locally. The HVAC-R apprenticeship is a county away and would have to relocate.

I'm interested in both trades primarily. HVAC-R has better margins and more repeat business for the obvious ... yet comes with attachments of competition floating lots of off-the-wall numbers. It feels like HVAC-R marketing are like Car Dealerships. Sorry, AC guys ... :biggrin:

Well, it seems. And the other negative is crawling in tiny attics which are heavy in fiberglass. I live in Florida and the super hot, small attics are a killer .. not to mention every rodent and insect known to mankind live in Florida and love to crawl up in ya.. Ha.

Elec work seems more laid back to me. Less salesy but a tough gig to start and run a sustainable business vs HVAC-R. It seems more straight forward and less breakage like the Ole Maytag Way. It's harder to make more money when nothing breaks. :001_unsure:
I'm more of the entrepreneur type .. is why I would like to run the show in the end. I once was a tile installer for too long. A killer on the knees. I got out of the game running an installation business due to the droves of semi-skilled installers killing the margins to almost zero. You can just see it in a lot of the houses and businesses you walk into. Nothing squared. Flooring not level. The last rows are skinny tile pieces. Shallow thin-set (tap, tap, tap). SH*T WORK all over Florida. Of all industries, construction has the lowest profit margins.
I could be 100% wrong. I'm just giving, you all, an idea of what's going through my mind. This is from the impressions that I get from after reading various forums.

Anyways ... have a productive day!

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,668 Posts
Welcome aboard!

First off you seem like you're in a hurry. You have @5 years apprenticeship in either business before you have the actual skills to handle working on your own knowledge wise and legally.

Slow down and don't be in such a hurry!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome from Maine. And just to be clear, all attic work is hot and close. The reason is there is never a problem up there, and/or, nothing to be done up there unless it is freakin hot. There is your first free lesson. You're welcome.

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts