Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Electrical buyer for meduim sized EC. Grew up in the electrical contracting biz.

Female, office chick.

Any cost savings tips, material wise, pass them along!

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Welcome, Rikki :thumbsup:

If you have any suggestions for us that you've learned over the years, pass them along. :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi! Electrical buyer for meduim sized EC. Grew up in the electrical contracting biz.

Female, office chick.

Any cost savings tips, material wise, pass them along!

Welcome to the site! Here's a tip one of the helpers learned a few years ago regarding 4/0 aluminum.

Measure twice....he only missed a 90' run by about 5'....

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
Welcome to the site! Here's a tip one of the helpers learned a few years ago regarding 4/0 aluminum[/qoute]

Measure twice install once. A truer cable lesson was never stated IMO

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Welcome to the site! Here's a tip one of the helpers learned a few years ago regarding 4/0 aluminum.

Measure twice....he only missed a 90' run by about 5'....
My rule is "measure twice, then add 10 feet anyhow."

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
Marc:

I had a guy doing that, he was order 100' extra and on company time cutting it to 18" lenghts strippping it, boxing it and scraping it all on the clock. Talk about insult to injury.

But to your statement, I'd rather be 10' over than 1" short

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
But to your statement, I'd rather be 10' over than 1" short
Well, yeah. Sometimes a bit extra will let you dress the conductors into the enclosure nicely, rather than being forced to take the shortest path from the conduit entry to the lugs because they were "just long enough". Sometimes the head of the pull gets a little messed up, particularly if you're using the cat of nine tails type set-screw pulling grip thingie.

·
Super Moderator
16,349 Posts
Rikki....I was in the opposite position for the last 8 years. I sold electrical supplies. Not conduit and wire but motor controls, motors, AC and DC drives, relays ect....
You will be very pleased to know that you can save a good bit of money if you know where to go.
Get a price on a Square D Nema 5 motor starter with OLR from your current supplier. Them pm me and I will show you how to reduce the cost by 1/2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts