Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum neophyte checking in, here for the donuts and my 8-for-8.

I'm a union apprentice inside wireman finishing up my third year at the JATC. So far in the trade, I have helped build a MLS soccer stadium from the bare dirt up to the final debug the week before the first match, helped expand a data center built into a Cold War nuclear bunker, gotten gassed at a chemical plant and served time in what is surely the most wretched, grungy, unsafe and antiquated steel mill currently running in this country. I haven't touched a lick of romex the entire time, and I'm fine with that :thumbup:

Prior to joining the trade, I'd done an assortment of things. Starbucks coffeeslinger, supermarket cashier / catering driver, door security at Target, fulltime slash parttime college student. I was also a mountaineering construction worker for about 5 years way back in the day, which is ultimately why I decided to become an electrician. Working as a retail wageslave, I missed out on the feeling of adventure and thrill that came from doing something that had an element of risk inherent in it. I missed doing work that stimulated my body and my mind simultaneously. I missed being PAID! :laughing: While electrical work is MUCH safer (and thus less thrilling and adventurous) than playing tug-of-war with helicopters on a cliffside, there's a bit of extra pride in being able to point to various shiny new buildings and say "I built that!" Also, wrestling rocks and helicopters is for 19 year olds, not 30somethings like me :(

Anyway, I bring some different perspectives to the trade. For better or worse. When an old guy says to do something one way, I'm the annoying ass who asks "Why?" and then tries to figure out a better way after hearing the explanation. Nine times out of ten, they're right and I've learned something cool. It's not worth doing something if you don't know why you're doing it other than just "Well that guy did it."

Love the trade so far, looking forward to turning out in a few years and running work :D

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
welcome to the forum Habib-- went to school with some in NYC- Lebanese I believe??? Me too

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Forum neophyte checking in, here for the donuts and my 8-for-8.

I'm a union apprentice inside wireman finishing up my third year at the JATC. So far in the trade, I have helped build a MLS soccer stadium from the bare dirt up to the final debug the week before the first match, helped expand a data center built into a Cold War nuclear bunker, gotten gassed at a chemical plant and served time in what is surely the most wretched, grungy, unsafe and antiquated steel mill currently running in this country. I haven't touched a lick of romex the entire time, and I'm fine with that :thumbup:

Prior to joining the trade, I'd done an assortment of things. Starbucks coffeeslinger, supermarket cashier / catering driver, door security at Target, fulltime slash parttime college student. I was also a mountaineering construction worker for about 5 years way back in the day, which is ultimately why I decided to become an electrician. Working as a retail wageslave, I missed out on the feeling of adventure and thrill that came from doing something that had an element of risk inherent in it. I missed doing work that stimulated my body and my mind simultaneously. I missed being PAID! :laughing: While electrical work is MUCH safer (and thus less thrilling and adventurous) than playing tug-of-war with helicopters on a cliffside, there's a bit of extra pride in being able to point to various shiny new buildings and say "I built that!" Also, wrestling rocks and helicopters is for 19 year olds, not 30somethings like me :(

Anyway, I bring some different perspectives to the trade. For better or worse. When an old guy says to do something one way, I'm the annoying ass who asks "Why?" and then tries to figure out a better way after hearing the explanation. Nine times out of ten, they're right and I've learned something cool. It's not worth doing something if you don't know why you're doing it other than just "Well that guy did it."

Love the trade so far, looking forward to turning out in a few years and running work :D
Welcome aboard..:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.