Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, any help or understanding to my questions would be very much appreciated. I have a 208v , hooked to a 75kv generated, lighting system with a disconnect including 60 amp fuses. The lights are in series.

1- 5 1500 watts lights (With a 50 amp Breaker)
2- 5 1500 watt lights ( with a 50 amp Breaker)
3- 6 1500 watt lights ( with a 60 amp Breaker

I keep blowing the fuses in the first two series. and I can't figure out why??the disconnect is rated for up to 100 amp fuse, but my boss disagrees on going up on the fuses. I have pictures and can go in to further detail if needed. Like I said, any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Trent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
75kv is pretty high voltage for lighting circuits.
yes, but the generator is for the lighting application and for power tools on site. It's a rental unit anyway. ( when renting generator the price is the key regardless of the size..etc etc.) always geaux back to cost...money money... Y'all Yankees have any useful advice on the subject? :thumbsup:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
What is your special application?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
yes, but the generator is for the lighting application and for power tools on site. It's a rental unit anyway. ( when renting generator the price is the key regardless of the size..etc etc.) always geaux back to cost...money money... Y'all Yankees have any useful advice on the subject? :thumbsup:

What kind of power tools do you use that need 75,000 volts?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi, any help or understanding to my questions would be very much appreciated. I have a 208v , hooked to a 75kv generated, lighting system with a disconnect including 60 amp fuses. The lights are in series.

I keep blowing the fuses in the first two series. and I can't figure out why??the disconnect is rated for up to 100 amp fuse, but my boss disagrees on going up on the fuses. I have pictures and can go in to further detail if needed. Like I said, any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Trent

Why are they run in series first of all. Run them in parallel and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are they run in series first of all. Run them in parallel and you'll be fine.

I would but that's to late. It's wired. Its a mobile unit with a gen-set on it. (basically a $75,000 dollar piece of equipment) I've never had this problem before. but we usually wire the units for 480v in three series with the winches being on the first series. I don't know, I thought this site had professionals like myself on it

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Call an Electrician.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If you can explain to me what you mean by wired in series and what you would do different if you could have wired them in parallel, I might be able to help you.

You also are posting conflicting information. The title of your post says 208V and in your post you mentioned 75kv (which means 75 thousand volts). I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, but that would require an assumption on my part which might lead to inaccurate transfer of information.

So, if you want good help from this site, you need to state your problem in a way professional people can clearly understand (no assumptions on our part) what you have and what your question is.

If you can't do that, then most of us here will believe you are not a qualified person and mostly you won't get much help.

·
Premium Member
19,545 Posts

Thanks

Trent
Trent,
We are just assuming that you have a three phase 120/208 75kw generator feeding three sets of lights, which in Cajun means, three series of lights.

Do this for us please.
Tell us what amperage you expect to have on each of the circuits and what you expect to have with all of them combined.
It's very interesting that you are blowing fuses on the odd number lighting circuits and on blowing fuses on the even number of lights.
Could this be a clue?
What voltage are the light fixtures, and what voltage did you connect them?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
OK, here is what I get from this:
The guy is a helper or apprentice and is using all the wrong terms.
He has a 75kW genset powering some 208V lights (like he states in the original post).
The lights are physically placed in "series"; meaning one, then the next, then the next, etc. As many people do, he is using the term "series" incorrectly.

Personally I have NO IDEA why the fuses are blowing, and I don't think anyone else will either without checking the situation on site.

My advice: listen to your boss.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts