Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a used FPE 3 Pole Bolt On Breaker I am trying to determine the amperage of.
The white "amps" number is totally gone from the handle. The little CSA sticker is readable but from what I can see from other three pole breakers I have of the same as per se vintage, are all the same, they don't appear to identify the amperage.

Does anyone know where I can find out the amperage of this breaker?

Thanks in advance

Joe

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I don't think you could without some sort of load testing equipment. Replacement is your best route. What wire size came off it?

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you could without some sort of load testing equipment. Replacement is your best route. What wire size came off it?

Tim
Hey Tim. I assumed load testing devices would be required. The wire size would have been an indicator for sure but this breaker came out of a big box of FPE breakers that had been sitting on a shelf in the work shop of a long term client. I am cleaning them up from about a decade of dust to put them up for sale, hence my original question. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm hanging onto some newer FPE breakers (white housings, Schneider-made), just in case. All the handles have molded -in amperages, so I'm not sure what to think other than you've got a very old breaker. Probably best to toss it.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,622 Posts
As far as I know, the 3 pole FPEs worked ok.

If possible, rent a breaker test set, that way you could tell what it trips at.........or even if it trips at all......lol.

·
Premium Member
19,629 Posts
Hi all

I have a used FPE 3 Pole Bolt On Breaker I am trying to determine the amperage of.
The white "amps" number is totally gone from the handle. The little CSA sticker is readable but from what I can see from other three pole breakers I have of the same as per se vintage, are all the same, they don't appear to identify the amperage.

Does anyone know where I can find out the amperage of this breaker?

Thanks in advance

Joe
How about a pic of the lugs?
also, there is such a thing as a non-rated switch

·
Registered
806 Posts
How about a pic of the lugs?
also, there is such a thing as a non-rated switch
Non rated? How’s that work?. I never noticed it mentioned in the NEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,950 Posts
Send it to me along with the rest of the CB's I'll test them. Megger, high current (long time instantaneous) too small to ductor/microhm most likely.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,050 Posts
The old NE frame had the amperage as part of the model number
Good breakers also..

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,622 Posts
Some breaker frames are just a simple switch without a trip unit.
Square D makes these in 2 and 3 pole, 30 and 60 amp plus 3 pole 100 amp, not sure about the 2 pole.

I use these once in a while as a disconnecting means in a 2 or 3 circuit panel when I don't want overcorrect, short circuit or ground fault protection.

·
Registered
806 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts