Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,606 Posts
Hi all

I have a used FPE 3 Pole Bolt On Breaker I am trying to determine the amperage of.
The white "amps" number is totally gone from the handle. The little CSA sticker is readable but from what I can see from other three pole breakers I have of the same as per se vintage, are all the same, they don't appear to identify the amperage.

Does anyone know where I can find out the amperage of this breaker?

Thanks in advance

Joe
I'm surprised that they are not Westinghouse. That is what FPE used for bolt-ins for years.

·
Registered
Engages in the design, construction, maintenance, repair and support of most major electrical system
10 Posts
Hi all

I have a used FPE 3 Pole Bolt On Breaker I am trying to determine the amperage of.
The white "amps" number is totally gone from the handle. The little CSA sticker is readable but from what I can see from other three pole breakers I have of the same as per se vintage, are all the same, they don't appear to identify the amperage.

Does anyone know where I can find out the amperage of this breaker?

Thanks in advance

Joe
Send it to RELECTRIC online, they usually can factory rebuild and re-certify it and send it back to you like new.

·
Registered
32,124 Posts
Load test an FPE beaker? What for, it won't trip anyway. :ROFLMAO:
I have tested a fair number of FPE molded case CBs and their failure rate was bout average based on what fails from other manufactures.

If you do not test, based on age alone I would trash them

·
Registered
846 Posts
did you notice that you have replied to a 6 month old question?
That’s ok as long as it’s new information being added. Might help someone in the future that searches the forum for an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Majewski

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,452 Posts
That’s ok as long as it’s new information being added. Might help someone in the future that searches the forum for an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it wont help anyone! EVER! lol

·
Registered
32,124 Posts
Well... They definately are, because FPE bought them from Westinghouse.
The original recall for FPE was in the late 1970's, it was a recall of molded case circuit breakers. The issue was the AIC ratings were not correct (as I remember) I literally replaced 1000's upon 1000's of FPE CB's as part of the recall.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,452 Posts
The original recall for FPE was in the late 1970's, it was a recall of molded case circuit breakers. The issue was the AIC ratings were not correct (as I remember) I literally replaced 1000's upon 1000's of FPE CB's as part of the recall.
Ok…. Can you show the class something proving a recall? We just want to learn!

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Bolt-ons were the only CBs recalled by FPE
i coulda swore that it was all over fake listings getting them into trouble over some stablock 2pole breakers...
Well... They definately are, because FPE bought them from Westinghouse.
What size breakers are we talking about? Stab-lok NA and NB series have seemingly identical moulded housings, only the NB being bolt-on. I wouldn't guess the internals to be different, but I haven't busted them open to check.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,452 Posts
What size breakers are we talking about? Stab-lok NA and NB series have seemingly identical moulded housings, only the NB being bolt-on. I wouldn't guess the internals to be different, but I haven't busted them open to check.
jus those tiny silly blue ones

21 - 40 of 53 Posts