Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if anyone could give me tips of how to get a job as year 1 electrician. i recently finished a course at bcit and seems its hard to find a job since everyone is looking for people with experience..:blink:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
hi i was wondering if anyone could give me tips of how to get a job as year 1 electrician. i recently finished a course at bcit and seems its hard to find a job since everyone is looking for people with experience..:blink:

Get out there and knock on doors and tell people that your are looking for work, put up a flyer at the supply house and make phone calls,emailing your resume will not help you, you need to go out and sell yourself.

Welcome to the electrical trade and the forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Persistence. It may take a while of pavement pounding. Get any job in the meantime, and keep trying.

Look in the phone book and call/send resumes to contractors.

Have an electrician you know and/or your former instructors critique your resume. You lack electrical experience, but mention any trade experience and find a way to highlight physical skills you have (strength, etc).

·
Registered
745 Posts
go throw the phone book and call all the e.c's
got many jobs that way.
oh, and indeed.ca

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good advice from the other posts, so the only other route I would suggest, where you would get training and experience, would be the military. I imagine the Canadian military is similar to the US's in the way it recruits people. Some of the best electricians I have worked with got their start in the military, so it is another way into the trade. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.